In general on alternate play-styles.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Benjamin_8 #1 Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:10 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Closed Alpha Gladiators
As far as your previous allocated points/sp (being as we have to get our LOVELY wipe) go how many of yall will be swapping your favored faction (regretted wasted points) for a new approach to the new ARENA? This conversation of course being based on the old BETA being as we have no INFO on the new BETA!!!!!!! Just a decent conversation topic I guess for the ARENA hanger-ons.

Edited by Benjamin_8, 12 December 2016 - 09:15 PM.

"You can't get blood out of a stone"

Ardez #2 Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:25 PM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian
I'm going to try and do what I did before, but I definitely want to diversify into Greece and Barbarians a lot more. I spent 90% of my playtime as Rome in the original beta. I avoided pikeman like the devil and hated playing ranged units instead of artillery, cav or swordsmen. I am aiming for a good grasp of all units to some degree compared to my focus before.

AnaxofRhodes #3 Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:55 PM

Junior Sergeant

I WILL NEVER BETRAY MY BRAVE HEAVY HOPLITES!!!!
"Make no show of cowardice then on your part, seeing the greatness of the issues at stake, and I will show that what I preach to others I can practice myself." - Brasidas

MikeSzat #4 Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:57 AM

Lance-corporal

I don't like to grind out and play multiple classes, heroes, races, or even games in general.  I prefer to find the few things I like and do my best in that area.  So with that said I'll be teching toward the ranged units and artillery of my play style.  Then I'll casually level up melee units as time permits.

BurstError #5 Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:37 AM

Lance-corporal

I´ve been playing mostly rome solo, but greek spearmen with my friends. I think i will switch it this time - solo spearmen, "coop" rome. 

Lizardguard #6 Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

Junior Sergeant

I loved slingers back then, will definity try them out once again. Artillery is always fun ofc. i think i´l play more with the barbs and less with rome, idk why everyone loved those rome troops..

Ardez #7 Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View PostLizardguard, on 13 December 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

I loved slingers back then, will definity try them out once again. Artillery is always fun ofc. i think i´l play more with the barbs and less with rome, idk why everyone loved those rome troops..

Rome is a classic. :D

Well technically they all are. More people know about Rome than anything else in the game. Maybe Leonidas beats that because of 300, but in grade school we only really learned about Rome.

ApolloBez #8 Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

Senior Sergeant

View PostLizardguard, on 13 December 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

​Well I just can't get past the whole "rock thrower" stigma. Just seems so primitive.. so for that silly reason, I never got into slingers.  
If you can't beat'em, join'em; (and wait for a better opportunity to strike).   

Ardez #9 Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View PostApolloBez, on 13 December 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

​Well I just can't get past the whole "rock thrower" stigma. Just seems so primitive.. so for that silly reason, I never got into slingers.  

Greek slingers used lead 'bullets' and were scary AF.

Benjamin_8 #10 Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

Junior Sergeant

Looks deadly!!!!!!!!!!!

ApolloBez #11 Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

Senior Sergeant

Looks like "rocks"

Bronze_Spear #12 Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

Lance-corporal

Said the Roman Centurion moments before the lead shot ripped through his throat with the word ouch inscribed in it.

Benjamin_8 #13 Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

Junior Sergeant

Stupid ROMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! *__* For DOUBTING the lowly slinger!!!!!!!!

CrocodileTearsbro #14 Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:13 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players

@ApolloBez Slingers were no joke http://warfarehistor...pons-the-sling/ Most good ancient commanders were able to use them to great effect in support of their javelin, and archers due to their increased range, and if a lead stones tended to crack skulls. Also importantly you could quickly and more easily train someone to use a sling rather than wait for someone to be able to have the arm strength to pull back a bow.

A good example of their effectiveness is how Paullus(One of the Roman consuls) was fatally wounded by a baeleric slinger at Canae from a single shot to the head.

49.6. A military tribune called Gnaeus Lentulus was riding past, when he saw the bloodstained consul sitting on a rock.  49.7. “Lucius Aemilius Paullus,” he cried, “you are the only one whom the gods in heaven will hold blameless for today’s disaster.  49.8. Come, take my horse, while there is strength left in your body and I am here to act as your companion, supporter, and defender. Do not desecrate this dreadful battle further with a consul’s death. We have cause enough for tears of grief without that.”  49.9. The consul replied, “You are a brave man, Gnaeus Cornelius, and a good one. Bless you for it. But you have very little time to escape the enemy’s clutches; don’t waste it in futile acts of pity. Hurry!

- Livy Book 22

CrocodileTearsbro #15 Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:22 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
And as far as changing up my play style being a fan of classical Greece it will be difficult not to play hoplites, but if they are in the same state as they were during the final days of the patch ie. Just Roman food, I'll probably spam Greek cav or play Barbs. 

ApolloBez #16 Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

Block Quote

@ApolloBez Slingers were no joke http://warfarehistor...pons-the-sling/ Most good ancient commanders were able to use them to great effect in support of their javelin, and archers due to their increased range, and if a lead stones tended to crack skulls. Also importantly you could quickly and more easily train someone to use a sling rather than wait for someone to be able to have the arm strength to pull back a bow.

I watched an "Ancient Weapons" episode on The History Channel, some time ago, and was left with the impression that a using sling with any real precision , was a far harder skill to master than simply shooting a bow. They were doing a re-enactment of "David vs. Goliath" using some "slinger champion", (guess they have competitions somewhere overseas), and I think it was about a distance of 40 feet or so; and his accuracy was around 50%.

View PostCrocodileTearsbro, on 13 December 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

And as far as changing up my play style being a fan of classical Greece it will be difficult not to play hoplites, but if they are in the same state as they were during the final days of the patch ie. Just Roman food, I'll probably spam Greek cav or play Barbs. 

Yeah, I feel the same about the Myrmidons, only T2... heartbreaking. 

Edited by ApolloBez, 14 December 2016 - 01:23 PM.

Benjamin_8 #17 Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:46 AM

Junior Sergeant

Little Brad Pitt clones is what they were!!!!

Lizardguard #18 Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:44 PM

Junior Sergeant

So,

Coming from an altogether different viewpoint, i love slingers because of a book called the earths children wich is a fictional tale set in a stone age setting. the main protagonist there uses a sling with extreme efectiveness.

Usually when i think about slings i think about those y shaped slingshots with some gum between that you pull back and let go. I was kinda amazed when i found out they actually used a sling differently and with a lot more success back then (note, this was before i played arena and read the book, and i was kinda young).

Now in a realistic view, i would imagine its a lot easier to learn to fire a shot somewhere than to fire an arrow somewhere. just like with Y shaped slings and the real hurtfull slings, bows are not the same. back then, it wasn´t easy to pull back a long bow without effort and for hours. You actually had to have specific muscles and even if you were muscular, the muscles you had to have were kinda specifit. I guess. So yea, in a batttle where it doesn´t matter where you shoot as long as you hit the general direction and shoot your stone several 100 meters, you´re bound to hit and hurt someone.

Edited by Lizardguard, 15 December 2016 - 06:45 PM.

ApolloBez #19 Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

Senior Sergeant

Well in pure speculation, I'd think that bullets thrown from a sling would lose their energy faster over distance than an arrow. Not to mention when opposed by some armors, they'd have to hit exposed flesh to be truly devastating. I saw another show where they tested arrows against armor, and even the best plate armors of the middle ages wouldn't completely stop arrow penetration.

***But***, there was a "Chinese Paper Armor", made up of many layers of paper sheets in small squares, glued together by some resin, that would; strange as it sounds. 

In reference to your "realistic view", you're still talking about strength vs. timing and dexterity. Strength can always be achieved, not sow much with the other. And I'd assume, most boys would be taught to use bows from and early age; but then again, I'm sure slings were easier to make, cheaper to use...  Yeah, ok scratch that.. lol    

Lizardguard #20 Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

Junior Sergeant

Slings beeing easier to make is one thing that points toards boys beeing more capable of using that than bow and arrow, safety is another, but to your previous points. "Strength can always be achieved, not so much timing and dex". Well, we´re talking about the preperation time for a battle here. Strength takes a lot of time to build up. I reckon if someone would show you how to use a sing for one day, i can safely say you´d shoot at least 9 out of 10 pellets in the general direction of my finger. Obviously we´re not talking about a high standart here, but i doubt they had a high standart back then as well. And in the end, all you had to do is wait for the signal and hit an army. Nothing else was done with arrows as well, no guy ever can hit a head repeatedly when shooting in a 30-40 degree arc into the air.  if you got enough ammunition and plenty of archers/slingers, you´re bound to hit something.

11 user(s) are reading this topic