Rapid advance and Phalanx

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Lastsparten #1 Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:27 AM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators
so why are you allowed todo rapid advance is phalanx for? why is this still a thing. really dont give two [edited]about its longer down time. its broken and everyone knows it. starting to wonder if dev's even care about what the community says. or it its just the dev's playing the game exploiting happily. 

Ancient_Exile #2 Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:07 AM

Zhayedan

• Silver Shield
Rapid advance with Cynane is the only modicum of any manageable offensive nature (once she actually gets a chance to engage a target or targets) the Greeks can use with Cynane's pikes.........Pikes are now currently really slow and NO ONE has an excuse if they get tangled up with them now................I hope the developers actually realize that anyone who still fusses about pikes is just doing it for sake of doing it after this update..................Cynane pikes have ZERO defensive abilities or morale abilities so leave the Rapid Advance be as it is now more difficult to utilize with all the extra speed every other unit has received as a buff........Not to mention she routes quite easily...........Go play pikes consistently in high tier 50 (that's tier 8-10) battles or so and then come back to your drawing board for clarities sake please............Sparten, I witnessed you tonight in a couple of matches getting tangled frontally into pikes trying to use FEAR and you can't blob charge with FEAR as it needs to be from different angles to be truly effective...........Luck M8

"You can't get blood out of a stone"

HeartMiner #3 Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:15 AM

Lance-corporal

tbh... I think pikes are in a good position... if everyone is competitive enough to know how to play against them. but sometimes pikes are just too punishing for newbies 

Equinox187 #4 Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:53 PM

Lance-corporal

Pikes are now the slowest thing in the game. I haven't really played them since the nerf to much as they are to damn slow to deal with. Turned them into defense only class. Those who [edited]never play pikes and will never understand the dynamics.

Edited by Equinox187, 05 February 2018 - 03:54 PM.

traumadisaster #5 Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

Sergeant

View PostEquinox187, on 05 February 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

Pikes are now the slowest thing in the game. I haven't really played them since the nerf to much as they are to damn slow to deal with. Turned them into defense only class. Those who [edited]never play pikes and will never understand the dynamics.

I've started experimenting with pikes a tiny bit and they seem very strong to me.  I would never imagine that they would be anything but slow, after watching pike men reenactments on youtube they can barely hold the friggin stick.

Equinox187 #6 Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

Lance-corporal

View Posttraumadisaster, on 05 February 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

I've started experimenting with pikes a tiny bit and they seem very strong to me.  I would never imagine that they would be anything but slow, after watching pike men reenactments on youtube they can barely hold the friggin stick.

I've seen you frontal charge Ancient. Maybe its your tactics. I mean, running head on into pikes; I can see how you think there overpowered.

traumadisaster #7 Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

Sergeant

View PostEquinox187, on 05 February 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

I've seen you frontal charge Ancient. Maybe its your tactics. I mean, running head on into pikes; I can see how you think there overpowered.

You are fos, I try to flank.  If I'm ran down and can't get out of a lightsaber jungle then it may look like it.  Be honest

Ancient_Exile #8 Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:26 AM

Zhayedan

• Silver Shield
Head-on and bam...........Then right to the forum.......*__*

traumadisaster #9 Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:41 AM

Sergeant

View PostAncient_Exile, on 06 February 2018 - 01:26 AM, said:

Magic dance after being surrounded and then phalanx backs through to then flank, bam 

R_Valle #10 Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:05 AM

Junior Sergeant

View PostAncient_Exile, on 05 February 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

Unit completely surrounded then starts going helicopter-mode killing all units, bam

Arkkinite #11 Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

Junior Sergeant

Errrr... bam bam...?

I'm missing something here aren't I?

I think the hot debate over pikes right now is its binary relationship with other units: you either hard counter the pikes or you have no/little hope against pikes.

Countered by:

- war dogs (dog only not handlers, though handlers could stay close and force the pike to stay in phalanx and get chewed up)

- ranged units and artillery in general

- commander with routing or silence abilities

Counters:

- pretty much any other melee unit ever

- cavalry unless the cav can rout them before they helicopter

Its not like spears and swords (and falx) where there is no clear counters; play each of them accordingly and they can beat all three. But with pikes... unless you're ranged you just cant touch them.

traumadisaster #12 Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

Sergeant

View PostArkkinite, on 06 February 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

Errrr... bam bam...?

I think the hot debate over pikes right now is its binary relationship with other units: you either hard counter the pikes or you have no/little hope against pikes.

Countered by:

- war dogs (dog only not handlers, though handlers could stay close and force the pike to stay in phalanx and get chewed up)

Counters:

Its not like spears and swords (and falx) where there is no clear counters; play each of them accordingly and they can beat all three. But with pikes... unless you're ranged you just cant touch them.

You are missing that 3 infantry surrounding only 1 pike unit should be a hard counter.  But the phalanx can back through one of the infantry somehow, and do it so fast that the other two can't stay in a flanking position, and all 3 suddenly are bunched and then the phalanx has them.  

If you've ever looked at a pike being held by a person you know that is impossible, and quite ridiculous 

R_Valle #13 Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

Junior Sergeant

View PostArkkinite, on 06 February 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Errrr... bam bam...?

Countered by:

Counters:

Saying that you can't touch a unit even when in heavily superior numbers and from all flanks is pretty much the definition of OP to me. 

Equinox187 #14 Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Lance-corporal

View Posttraumadisaster, on 05 February 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

You are fos, I try to flank.  If I'm ran down and can't get out of a lightsaber jungle then it may look like it.  Be honest

I am being Honest, we laughed our azs off that day you faced tanked Ancient. You really charged right into the front of him. ok, ok, im still laughing....Good ole memories. BTW, only thing a pike can catch now is an AFK!

Edited by Equinox187, 06 February 2018 - 09:08 PM.

traumadisaster #15 Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:20 PM

Sergeant

View PostEquinox187, on 06 February 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

I am being Honest, we laughed our azs off that day you faced tanked Ancient. You really charged right into the front of him. ok, ok, im still laughing....Good ole memories. BTW, only thing a pike can catch now is an AFK!

Because I was ran down, best I could do was delay him.  P,ease try to contribute as a beta tester.

traumadisaster #16 Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:29 AM

Sergeant

Just played a match with both of you on my team and the enemy spears in phalanx back peddled faster than I could charge around his flanks, ridiculous.

Arkkinite #17 Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:38 AM

Junior Sergeant

View PostR_Valle, on 06 February 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

Saying that you can't touch a unit even when in heavily superior numbers and from all flanks is pretty much the definition of OP to me. 

Absolutely agree.

Ancient_Exile #18 Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

Zhayedan

• Silver Shield

View Posttraumadisaster, on 06 February 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Just played a match with both of you on my team and the enemy spears in phalanx back peddled faster than I could charge around his flanks, ridiculous.

Yes trauma that is dumb now how frontal speed for Greeks has been decreased and now they can back pedal quite fast (almost as fast as their base forward speed) it really messes up the PRINCIPLE that everyone has been agendavizing for the Greeks to become defensive only......Especially when 2 hoplites are 1 v 1 then one just pack peddles steadily Lol it's so silly to watch...............Very fast now even without RA

Edited by Ancient_Exile, 11 February 2018 - 05:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic