Add cap to unit cost in squads

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Nolijj #1 Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

What if we capped the unit cost per commander? Commanders could only command so much cost per tier. That way you could still use OP units like pikes but not a pure OP squad.

Squads like pikes can be defeated with proper strategies. However, it is basically impossible to defeat 3 enemy pikes with only 3 units. You have to add more allies for flanking or skirmishing in order to take on that many pikes.

I like that we can only command 3 squads at a time. It lets us micro a lot more than we could in the traditional Total War games (unless you paused every 5 seconds which is no fun).

I like that pikes can destroy units head on. Maybe the current implementation should be toned down a little but if you attack a pike wall you're gonna have a bad time. 3 pikes per commander is overkill because its about impossible for only 3 enemies to handle them.

With unit costs, you could still use a squad of hardcore pikes but then only have enough commander cost leftover to supplement it with 2 squads of lower tier 

hoplites/pikes/archers/etc

Edited for clarification.

SuperSpud1 #2 Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

Lance-corporal

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

OtterWolf #3 Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

Lance-corporal

View PostNolijj, on 29 January 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

What if we add a unit cost per unit? Commanders could only command so much cost per tier. That way you could still use OP units like pikes but not a pure OP squad.

It already costs credits to mount a unit... You mean a cap on the total?

Gray Wolf Gaming Recruitment Officer      http://graywolfgamers.enjin.com/

___World of Warships OBT | World of Warplanes | Total War: Arena CBT____

Nolijj #4 Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

Lance-corporal

Yes, I mean to cap the total unit cost. That way you can still have super strong units but not teams of purely stronk units.

Right now, why use infantry other than pikes if it takes more than 3 other infantry units to flank/destroy 3 pikes?

You could even incentivise it to give bonus XP or silver to players who win with less unit cap used than their opponent.

Nolijj #5 Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:03 AM

Lance-corporal

View PostSuperSpud1, on 29 January 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

How do you balance a game where every player gets 3 units if the units aren't perfectly balanced? Especially if some units should historically be stronger than others? (eg: pikes vs hoplites)

Nolijj #6 Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

Lance-corporal

The current gameplay shows how Alexander conquered most the known world with the phalanx. A well done phalanx owns most other melee infantry in most situations.

Instead of nerfing pikes to be unrealistically weak, a cost cap could make it that you can't play 3 T5 pikes as a T5 commander. You'd have to mix up your pikes with something weaker.

Ardez #7 Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

This idea wouldn't work with the way unit cost scales, unless it was percent based. The additional trick to it would be balancing for cost in addition to all of the in-game factors(stats, abilities, commander abilities).

I'm against it personally because it tries to dictate what is and isn't allowed based on something as simple as cost. You can see a slight method of forcing you towards certain units with not allowing certain units to use certain abilities. Adding another layer to that not only 'forces' your hand again, but it may force you into units your commander already isn't good for.

I'd say it was interesting to think about, but impractical for actual implementation. I'd rather see the commanders matter less than balancing which units they can bring, or how many of them.

Nolijj #8 Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:04 AM

Lance-corporal

I think I get what you're saying but I still think it could work. It would take some work/refactoring and need a major patch but is totally possible.

It'd be like unit supply in StarCraft. It's fun to be able to play different kinds of units but if you can always use three units, they have to cost different. There's no sense designing/playing zerglings and ultralisks if you can play 3 ultralisks against 3 zerglings.

With each tier, commanders could command more unit supply. Each unit would cost more unit supply the higher tier it is. Some powerful units like pikes (which should be powerful) would cost extra unit supply so a commander cannot use three of the highest tier extra powerful units at a time.

Basic idea could be that a T1 commander can command 3 unit supply with a maximum 3 units. T1 hoplite/archer cost 1 supply each. T2 commander can command 6 supply with T2 hoplite/archer costing 2 each. Same idea until T4 where you can command 12 supply but a T4 pike costs 5 where T4 hoplite/archer cost 4. You could still do two pikes and a T2 archer/hoplite if you wanted but not 3 pikes because they are extra strong.

This idea would scale and work if a Persian empire with war elephants is ever implemented. Instead of worrying about a war elephant being the same strength as legionaries so 3 vs 3 isn't ridiculous, you can just make elephants cost more supply than legionaries.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users