Reddit Ask Me Anything second event! - Jan 24 @ 8:30 am PT

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

dance210 #1 Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

Greetings commanders!

We’ve rounded up the devs once again to bring them before you to answer your most burning questions for our second Reddit ‘Ask Me Anything’ session!

So join us on Total War: ARENA’s Reddit on January 24th at 8:30 AM PT for this AMA #2!

We’ve already sent scouts out to gain intel on the battlefields yet to come, and with that in the mind, the devs are eagerly awaiting questions about the next map coming to Total War: ARENA: The Passage of Augustus.

To bring in this new map (and a few balance changes), we’re happy to announce the impending arrival of Update 2.4!

To answer all your questions, we have Creative Assembly’s Paul E. (Balance Designer), Jamie G. (Battle Designer), Dave P. (Lead Content Designer), and Leif B. (Lead Map Designers). As always, Akriom, Zwill and Sasha will be here to greet you and help you in seeking out answers to your burning questions, so don’t hesitate to think about questions for them as well.

The Total War: ARENA sub-reddit is the place to be to discuss and share all things Total War: ARENA related things. Subscribe now to stay in touch with the Total War: ARENA community!

Until then, Commanders, we’ll see you on the battlefield!

Ardez #2 Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:21 PM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian
Looking forward to it :D

dance210 #3 Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

Senior Sergeant

The AMA doesn't start until 8:30 am PT, but you can head over to the dedicated AMA thread and start asking your questions now!

Information from the AMA post, including a preview of Update 2.4! 

Spoiler

Ancient_Exile #4 Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

Zhayedan

• Silver Shield
To bad it was held on the reddit as there are plenty of people who don't support (along with the FAKE official discord) it as it has a discriminatory history along with a dictatorship theme in the backdrop.........So hopefully we get some patch notes here in the forums and the WG moderation team doesn't attempt to force people to use that as a means of obtaining information for the game.......After all that's why the forums exist right??? So please give the rest of us who don't deviate from the forums some information on the detailed patch notes or is everything you had attached in the spoiler all there is????? Either way thx to the community<< (there I fixed it dance) team for keeping us informed but please don't deviate from the forums.......*__*

Edited by Ancient_Exile, 24 January 2018 - 08:10 PM.

"You can't get blood out of a stone"

dance210 #5 Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

View PostAncient_Exile, on 24 January 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

To bad it was held on the reddit as there are plenty of people who don't support (along with the FAKE official discord) it as it has a discriminatory history along with a dictatorship theme in the backdrop.........So hopefully we get some patch notes here in the forums and the WG moderation team doesn't attempt to force people to use that as a means of obtaining information for the game.......After all that's why the forums exist right??? So please give the rest of us who don't deviate from the forums some information on the detailed patch notes or is everything you had attached in the spoiler all there is????? Either way thx to the mod team for keeping us informed but please don't deviate from the forums.......*__*

Hi Ancient_Exile,

Reddit has the advantage of allowing the developers from Creative Assembly to address questions from every region in one location. While I understand that not everyone uses Reddit, this was the location chosen for the AMA.

The information posted on Reddit regarding Update 2.4, that I included in the forum post, is only a preview of what is to come; it was not the full patch notes. Please keep an eye on the portal and/or forums for the full patch notes to be released in the future.

To clear up a bit of confusion that you seem to have - I am not, nor have I ever been, part of the WG moderation team....I'm part of the Community team, which is very, very different   :)

traumadisaster #6 Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Sergeant

View PostAncient_Exile, on 24 January 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

To bad it was held on the reddit as there are plenty of people who don't support (along with the FAKE official discord) it as it has a discriminatory history along with a dictatorship theme in the backdrop.........So hopefully we get some patch notes here in the forums and the WG moderation team doesn't attempt to force people to use that as a means of obtaining information for the game.......After all that's why the forums exist right??? So please give the rest of us who don't deviate from the forums some information on the detailed patch notes or is everything you had attached in the spoiler all there is????? Either way thx to the mod team for keeping us informed but please don't deviate from the forums.......*__*

I had to sign up for Reddit since I've never used it and don't know it's history.  Pasted below

traumadisaster #7 Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

Sergeant

r/TotalWarArenaWargaming Response
We're the teams behind Total War: ARENA and we're here to answer your questions about Update 2.4 and the Closed Beta - Ask Me Anything!
u/Akriom
EDIT Thanks everyone for asking all those questions, we sincerely hope you were pleased with our answers. We're going to wrap up our responses now and will periodically check in on this thread for the rest of the week.

Ave Commanders!

We'd like to thank the moderation team of /r/totalwararena for working with us to host our second AMA here on the TWA subreddit.

We're here today to answer your questions about Update 2.4 (see below for the highlights of this patch), gameplay, hopes for the future, as well as any other questions you may have regarding the game and its development.

The changes brought with this patch includes a lot of cool new things, such as:

New Map: Passage of Augustus
Private Lobbies (Custom battles)
Added relevant UI for the reward program, The Immortals
Balancing changes (some details below)
Joining us today from Creative Assembly:

/u/Paulss9_CA – Content Designer
/u/CA_Dave – Content Designer
/u/CA_Jamie – Battle Designer
/u/Josh_CA – Developer Communications
/u/CA_Leif – Level Designer (Maps)
And joining us from Wargaming:

/u/Akriom - European Community
/u/Sasha_JP - Asia Pacific Community
We'll be here from 5:30 PM CET/11:30 AM EST/8:30 AM PST until 7:30 PM CEST/1:30 PM EST/10:30 AM PST answering your questions and fielding your comments.

Thanks, and let's get started!

FYI - Balance changes: Some things will be tuned up:

Whip base deployable construction time reduced to 26% (was 50%)
Turn speed increase for most units – ranging on average from 20-30% (cav ranging up to 80%) (except Pikemen)
Premium units have been improved based on metrics and feedback
Telesillas, Thorax and Myrmidons now have Phalanx Thrust (instead of Presence and Charge)
All Cav can now have their width changed
Some Shock cavalry got their armour boosted
Falxmen have got a slight HP increase and will be better at killing armored units (30% of damage will ignore armor (was 15%)
War dogs have slightly been buffed to counter a bugfix that would have left them weaker than normal.
Missile infantry have an increase in morale flank damage
Some things will be tuned down:

Fight in the shade and Raise shield are now formations and cannot be used with Phalanx
Artillery boulders debuff went from 30% to now 20% speed penalty
Phalanx Reposition speed and turn speed reduced to 20% (was 50%)
Mount kick now silences the unit using it and lasts 3s (was 4s)
Some things have had general rebalancing:

Anvil (cav units can use it and the mechanic itself changes slightly while still applying a similar effect (slowing massively + silencing instead of making the unit unorderable)
Deployable construction time cannot be instant anymore but barricades and stakes are faster to deploy by 50% (min max build times were too extreme and are now between 2 – 9 seconds long)
203 Comments16

New
Write a comment
JArdez • 2h
The AMA has ended. Thanks for your questions!

MiangWasTaken • 4m
In the current version of the game the calvery units have a tendency to get stuck in other players units after a calvery charge. This basicly results in great loses for the cav player. It feels punishing at times to charge down an enemy. So i want to ask if unit collision is being looked at?

Deathyy530 • 10m
Not too sure who exactly can awnser this so ill just throw it to anyone, regarding closed beta, I have several friends that want to try the game I recommended to them, will the keys continue being given out until CBT is over? Also a quick follow up question, regarding morale boosting, apart from any commander abilities, will there be any special unit implimented for the sole purpose of increasing morale such as a standard bearer or something of the sort?

Josh_CACreative Assembly • 12m
That's all from us at CA, thank you very much for all your questions guys!

wolfiena • 17m
Thank you. Can we choose our opponent in Custom battles (Private lobbies), i.e. will a premade 10 vs 10 be possible?

Josh_CACreative Assembly • 15m
I've spoken a bit about this below, but you can create 1v1s, 5v10s etc, you can make a 10v10 if you wish. You invite friends to the lobby or send a code for people to enter. You can then pick your team.

wolfiena • 7m
If I understand it correctly, the Custom battle is region locked. I'd like to clarify my question a bit. I want to have a 10v10 against EU / CIS friends, given that I'm from NA. (we have been enjoying playing NA vs NA parties if we login in the proper time of the day.)

Josh_CACreative Assembly • 5m
Yes, the way that custom battles have currently been implemented means that other participants need to be the same region as you.

amshegarh • 19m
Hello there, a fairly popular question, progression on t8+ yields little to no silver, is this intended?

PexP • 27m
Can someone say someting about steam rewards ?:)

CA_JamieCreative Assembly • 23m
Something about steam rewards

Josh_CACreative Assembly • 16m
To add onto this brilliant insight. Rewarding steam players is very very difficult as the two accounts aren't inherently connected. We're not ruling it out, and we're looking at how it could be done, but we can't promise anything at the moment.

Teh_Naacal • 19m
? :)

Nodosa1 • 33m
Will Palatina or any other Roman units get pants soon? A strange question but i do love my pants.

CA_JamieCreative Assembly • 30m
If you can find me some historical references of roman palace guards wearing pants, I'll make an argument for it! It gets pretty chilly in the alps

ArchieBunker74 • 16m
http://www.romanarmy...ldweather.shtml

Sullateli • 47m
@CA and @WG Thanks for answering our questions!

TrueJakerp • 47m
Is there any plans to rework dog's unit's ability fetch as currently how it works, it is almost useless as almost every player in high tier games exploit pull trough damage where they just keep walking over the dogs that charged them when the fetch effect ends and dogs automatically return virtually all dogs die becouse of pull trough damage.

How fetch now work it is basically lose you dogs button as player have no control over if dog return or not.

Teh_Naacal • 55m
Is there going to be an option to customize UI elements like transparency or skinning the UI entirely? On streams it is possible to create transparency overlays on some elements but unfortunately some break :s

Josh_CACreative Assembly • 41m
We've got UI customisation stuff in the pipeline (I've mentioned some stuff in my other replies). You can bind a key in the hotkeys to hide the UI entirely, but I'm not sure if there are currently any plans for changing the UI transparency. I'll pass that feedback onto the UI team

Shirokaya • 56m
Are there plans for a javelin Commander?

CA_JamieCreative Assembly • 39m
Have you tried Sulla with javelins? Between whip and dash it's a really effective combo.

Shirokaya • 35m
Yep! I mained Caesar until he came out. Whip is great, I'm getting a lot of good kiting and dodging archers really well. Still, I guess there are no plan for a javelin specific Commander? :)

CA_JamieCreative Assembly • 31m
We're more focused on filling other niches right now, like making Barbarian archers actually viable with a new commander. Javelins are in a pretty decent state, so it's unlikely that a new Javelin commander will come out before other more neglected areas :)

FlareCitizen • 58m
Do u have plans for adding Falxmen to other factions? Also Arminius' T10 Perk for Infiltration that increases Morale by 10 is kinda useless since u lose the Morale when Infiltration drops. Any changes planned for that?

Josh_CACreative Assembly • 56m
There are no plans to add them as a core unit type, no. We do sometimes create premium units of different unit types, so there's potential there, but I don't think there's anything in the immediate pipeline. After reading this question, however, I am thinking about if/how that could work...

Just saw your edit - Jamie has spoken below about Infiltration, so have a look there. I believe the gist is that we are looking at potential reworks or replacements.

FlareCitizen • 39m
Thanks Josh

dance210 #8 Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

Senior Sergeant

Thanks to everyone that participated!

For those who prefer not to use Reddit, I will summarize the questions and answers and post them up on the forums :)

Ancient_Exile #9 Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

Zhayedan

• Silver Shield

View Postdance210, on 24 January 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

Thanks to everyone that participated!

For those who prefer not to use Reddit, I will summarize the questions and answers and post them up on the forums :)

Thank you mam.... Yes, I remember back in Alpha when you came into the community and I never actually considered you a moderator (as you were in charge of the prizes etc. etc. etc.) but I none the less ixo-facto consider you under the same grouping because you can easily report things you see on the forum to the mods on a more personal level...........So to many you will always be considered a mod in our mindset but don't think that we don't realize how much more important you are than a filthy STANDARD moderator.............Even though we know you're not a mod.........*__* 

"You can't get blood out of a stone"

SuperSpud1 #10 Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

Lance-corporal

Reddit is just Bleh lol I only use Reddit for WoWs.  [edited]

2 user(s) are reading this topic