Hello! New village idiot here...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Shield380 #1 Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

Private

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

Howdy all! Shield here, a newcomer to these parts but a longtime member of the WG community. I have been mostly involved with World of Warships (since early 2014 I do believe) and so I have decided to start branching out into their other titles. That being said, I am quite helpless here and have no clue where to start with this game! Sure, tutorials are helpful but good community moderation and advice is always appreciated. 

A little bit about me: I am a generally laid back dude with basically not enough free time but I make some out of whatever time I am not working XD. I run a dive charter out of Jupiter in Florida, I served in the US Navy as CWO2 until 5 years ago where I founded my dive charter and I have been doing that ever since. My sense of humor is above average but yet still subpar... and yet I still entertain myself :-)

So yeah! If you fine folks have any starter advice or jokes on my behalf, feel free to share! I am up for some good verbal (lighthearted) sparring and the occasional meme or two.... happy to be here after I totally didn't lose my Closed Alpha code.....

Cheers all!

Shield

OtterWolf #2 Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Lance-corporal

Welcome Shield! 

I too, am a WOWS player since open beta in that game... i also spend a fair bit of time in WarPlanes as well. Tried Tanks, but ugg, the seal-clubbing is ridiculous..

In WOWS, I ran CVs a lot, so I think of this RTS game as similar.. i am still trying to sort it out a bit myself, so sorry if I am not much help.

But, there is basic similarity...

The Factions, Romans, Greece, Barbarians, are similar to Nations in WOWS.. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Some are easier than others.  I started with Roman Germanicus, tough, and good weapon skills.

The units are like ship types... Swordsmen, Archers, Catapults, Cavalry, Pikeman, etc.. Again, each has their own attributes.. Hover over a unit in the tech tree, and it will tell you Easy, Moderate, or Hard to master..

I started with swordsman.. pretty basic.

FYI, if you try Archers or Javelinmen, be aware that they can do friendly fire... You will have to disengage them to stop. FF counts against your score, and doesn't help your team..

The units can also be upgraded.. click on a unit from the tech tree, to see what you can add.

Consumables can be added to each of the units, and each one of course has different effects.. Same with commander skills, which are listed in the tech tree under "abilities"..

Note, on your main camp screen, your units are shown at the bottom. You can drag and drop units here to make up a squad of three.  It is possible to mix them up, ie, 2 archers and a swordsman... But, I wouldn't recommend it until you are really familiar with the gameplay.  Also, the unit to the far left is where your commander is stationed... If this unit gets killed in battle, then all of your commander abilities will turn off. So, you might want to protect that one.

As for general play, I assume you did the tutorials for basic moving and attacking.. Also, something unique is having HP for both number of men and morale... When your unit's morale goes down, they do no engage as fierce.. When your unit's morale goes to zero, they scatter, or ROUT, and are easily killed..

The maps all have strong points as well... You will get to know them like in WOWS.

That's all I can think of for now.. Welcome to the forum, there are some knowledgeable folks on here, and good WG CMs as well.

Edited by OtterWolf, 10 January 2018 - 04:20 PM.

Gray Wolf Gaming Recruitment Officer      http://graywolfgamers.enjin.com/

___World of Warships OBT | World of Warplanes | Total War: Arena CBT____

AjjaxGaming #3 Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

Private

Hey Shield. I too used to play WoWs. I dabbled mainly in CV's and CA's. 

Some of the biggest suggestions I can give you is that this give lives and dies by your team play. You can have a super human carry but if it's against you and 5 enemies then you are a toast. So my biggest piece of advice would be to always look for the team play. Besides from that I would just pick a unit that you like. Personally I like roman cav, barb infantry and war dogs. Also take your time and explore each commander, their abilities and their upgrades for the abilities because each has a unique playstyle. My favorites are scipio, miltiades, boudica and vercingetorix.

Welcome to the forums and hope to see you out there on the battlefield.

Rowdyman_ #4 Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

Lance-corporal

Same here I have played them all WOT WOP WOW tier 6 7 still the sweet spot for fun roll  Infantry:B

Ardez #5 Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

That's some cool stuff. Any interesting diving stories? :teethhappy:

Welcome to TWA, I hope you have fun here!

mkloby #6 Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:23 PM

Lance-corporal

Welcome shield. I’m on the green side of the DoN, but I’ve done two floats with you guys on amphibs. I hope to see you around! 

Shield380 #7 Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

Private

View PostArdez, on 10 January 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

That's some cool stuff. Any interesting diving stories? :teethhappy:

Welcome to TWA, I hope you have fun here!

I have more than my fair share of interesting dive stories, message me for some laughs XD

View Postmkloby, on 10 January 2018 - 06:23 PM, said:

Welcome shield. I’m on the green side of the DoN, but I’ve done two floats with you guys on amphibs. I hope to see you around! 

I was mostly blue water, did some green ops when a few Marines happened to temporarily misplace a few hundred thousand rounds of .50cal ammo XD. Where were you stationed?

Edited by Shield380, 11 January 2018 - 02:36 PM.

mkloby #8 Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:37 AM

Lance-corporal

View PostShield380, on 11 January 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

I was mostly blue water, did some green ops when a few Marines happened to temporarily misplace a few hundred thousand rounds of .50cal ammo XD. Where were you stationed?

I did my floats w/ the NASSAU and BATAAN.  I also did mini-rides for HA/DR w/ the GW and the IWO JIMA.  All in all, the CVN was my favorite!  Blue water!

dance210 #9 Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Administrator

Hi Shield380, welcome to the fun!

If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask. There is an awesome group here always willing to help out :)

Arkkinite #10 Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:52 AM

Junior Sergeant

Welcome! If you need anything be sure throw out questions on thr forums, we have many veterans (not i, but ill help if i can) prowling the forums.

Zurokun #11 Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

Private

For more tips than I could list in this post - youtube is your friend.

Arclinon, JackieFish, & Arx Strategy just to name a popular few are good at explaining basic fundamentals of the game as well as unit/commander specific tips.  

As for my own input, patience & vision are key points that you will gradually start to develop.  At lower tiers lots of people like to YOLO/Rambo out and typically quickly die.

The biggest tip I can give you is, to quote my favorite general, "Know your enemy."  Get used to clicking on who you are about to fight to see what commander they are using.  Learn the different commander and unit abilities.  For instance if you are playing Germanicus with swordsmen and you are about to face a spear unit - do NOT charge them frontally... if your men smash into the phalanx its YOU that will be taking damage from the charge.  

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users