Spike walls... I'm sure it's been said before, but here we are

spike walls broken

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

McCoolium #1 Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:23 AM

Private

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

Spike walls should do little to no​ damage to units under movement orders or engage orders unless they are "charging" or are cavalry units

my reasoning behind this is as follows.... If I can order my unit of javelins to attack an enemy unit, and between my javo unit and the enemy is a spike wall, and the enemy units pull back, my javo's will chase to engage and run into the spikes and die. With that logic, if I tell a unit to engage an enemy unit, and between me and the enemy unit is a cliff, my units should run off the cliff and die.

spikes are anti-horse. Not anti marching infantry. At worst, the first rank will run into the spikes and die, the following ranks will have soft dead bodies between them and the spikes to save them.

traumadisaster #2 Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:32 AM

Sergeant

I've suggested an auto stop or severe slow down when units approach stakes.  Since all people and horses would auto stop in real life.  

McCoolium #3 Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:55 AM

Private

View Posttraumadisaster, on 06 January 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

I've suggested an auto stop or severe slow down when units approach stakes. Since all people and horses would auto stop in real life.

As I said, I'm sure I am not the first one to say something about this. I'm bringing it up again because I think It's ridiculous that it hasn't been changed yet.

Thanks for the reply.

HeartMiner #4 Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

Lance-corporal

I have only seen zombies in The Walking Dead stuck themselves on stakes... IRL no one could really walk into stakes and kill himself

Bulluck_1 #5 Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

Lance-corporal

I disagree. I don't think the game should have an auto feature for anything. No skirmish mode for ranged, no auto stop in front of spikes or caltrops. I feel like you need to be in control of your units at all times. I even disagree with the assisted attack feature that is turned on by default. 

Mister_Avnas #6 Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Lance-corporal

you can already just attack or go round

Ancient_Exile #7 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:16 AM

Zhayedan

• Silver Shield
Well in these type situations stakes become kind of a tackie thing to encounter.............

"You can't get blood out of a stone"

elbowsanchez #8 Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

Lance-corporal

Bullick_1 posted:

"I don't think the game should have an auto feature for anything."

I agree with his statement.

My own opinions on the item of stakes:

1.  Many times stakes are the only thing / items that can slow down the touchy topic of the base assault tactic used on the Rubicon and Hadrian's Wall where the opposing side uses a pike front wall followed by archers lines, followed by another spears group, and finally with sword contingent and head strait for the opposing sides base for an easy sometimes less than 3 minute victory.  Some 4 group teams are very effective using this tactic leaving the other side wondering what the heck just happened.  This is especially frustrating after waiting 10 minutes in a beta queue to game.  Using stakes, even if hidden gives the defending side time to realize what is happening and rally back to the base to defend and a tactic I personally use this to slow this assault tactic down.  This defending tactic doesn't always work, but it does disrupt the rush party and at least gives the defenders a chance to pull back from its flanks and support the defenders in the base.

2.  Artillery in this game generally becomes a lone wolf and has to fend for itself.  If to many people try to assist defending the artillery, it creates problems for one to one ratios in melee and stresses the allied team (not always, but often enough).  On many occasion, I've had 3 different players (nine units) at one time completely focus on me while playing artillery and forget the focus on the larger picture and lose because the rest of the allied side seizes the base.  I guess it would be more fun for folks that do not use artillery to just smash into them for easy kills instead of having to work and focus on barriers that hinder the progress of easy kills.  Since the developers have included these types of units, it only seems fitting for these units to have some way to protect themselves if not getting any other assistance and if hiding in tall grass or wooded are assists this, then I am all for it.

3.  I've personally been on both sides of the frustration of being impaled by stakes (even my own melee units).  They are part of this time periods warfare defense and if hidden in long grass or forest even in real life they would impale the opposing side who may not see them.  They take a little getting used to, but they are easy to take down by clicking a melee order on the barrier.  One has to be careful when running through tall grass and forests.

4.  Think of Punji sticks that have also been used in warfare.  Would the community rather have those?

5.  This isn't real warfare.  It is a game.  Hidden stakes are part of the game.

6.  The video example above shows a tier 9 cav unit zig zagging through spikes to attack a tier 7 scorpion type unit, I would expect his large horses to be cut up.  He/she paid the price for trying to get an easy kill.  I'm sure now he/she knows this now and will avoid this situation in his/her next encounter of this stake configuration.

7.  Artillery and base defenders have adapted to being base rushed and for being easy kills for melee infantry and cav. 

On a personal opinion side note -

A worse issue with this game is pike pull through.   Where a player simply pulls its pike / spear phalanx through the opposing melee stack without giving a melee order.  But that is a different topic and based on the reaction I received with the base rush tactic, I will leave that for someone else to endure. 

Edited by elbowsanchez, 19 January 2018 - 06:46 PM.

"The evil Bert and friend."

DOAmaster #9 Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:26 PM

Private

I don't like the stakes being used as anti troops. From my first time playing against them I thought they would just hurt horses and my troops would route around them or stop, but instead every single one of my troops picked their own huge log to smash their bodies into.

Ancient_Exile #10 Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

Zhayedan

• Silver Shield
Yes, stakes are a silly implementation as they are now spammed excessively by every single Roman infantry unit there is...........Yes, I concur with you good-sir they do far too much damage to infantry and the ease at which they can be deployed is almost like the game is being focused around deployables (I mean I get elephants are coming but geez come on).............I mean where is the intricate maneuvering and tactical creativity at????? No where that's where; just use their basic 8 second stake deploy and feel like they have done something tactical...................L-M-A-O.........*__* and still laughing

"You can't get blood out of a stone"

Also tagged with spike, walls, broken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users