What's coming up in Total War: ARENA

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Raizei #1 Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

Private

• Administrator

Hello warriors!

We hope all of you had a wonderful holiday and New Year's!

In case you missed WGFest, here is information that was shared on what is coming up for Total War: ARENA this year:

Please note that the images shared below are works in progress!

• New Map - The Passage of Augustus

This new map features an Alpine tribal village that was slaughtered and conquered by the Romans.

The layout of the map is significantly different from the others as players will spawn behind their respective bases that are located in the center of the map. This provides various opportunities for tactical maneuvering as the map heavily encourages flanking from the outside routes.

There is a narrow pass that connects the bases together which will be a heavily contested area as both forces will try to obtain early control this area for positional advantage. 

• Newly Revealed Commander - Spartacus

The Thracian gladiator and accomplished military leader, Spartacus was one of the leaders who contributed in the major slave rebellion against the Roman Republic.

During the Third Servile War, Spartacus was resourceful and an excellent tactician which led his men to various victories against the Romans. His success on the battlefield rallied more slaves to join his forces which made him a major threat.

His key features will be close to the tactics of the real historical figure.

This is all of the information we have currently. News and more details are soon to come!

Josie_Javelin #2 Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators
Any clue on what faction he will be in? Barbarian is my guess since they only have 3 commanders but none of the barbarian units really seem to suit his flavor. 

Rowdyman_ #3 Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

Lance-corporal

Sweet 

elbowsanchez #4 Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:02 AM

Lance-corporal

+5
"The evil Bert and friend."

Arkkinite #5 Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:50 AM

Junior Sergeant

Hail!

Arkkinite #6 Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:11 AM

Junior Sergeant

Wait, wasn't there a... mercenary faction specifically for Spartacus, or am I getting senile? If yes, what of it this time around?

HeartMiner #7 Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:35 AM

Lance-corporal

yes yes we need 30 maps in Arena like in WOT. Keep updating!

Clownbeard #8 Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

Private

View PostRaizei, on 04 January 2018 - 03:09 PM, said

The Thracian gladiator and accomplished military leader, Spartacus was one of the leaders who contributed in the major slave rebellion against the Roman Republic.

During the Third Servile War, Spartacus was resourceful and an excellent tactician which led his men to various victories against the Romans. His success on the battlefield rallied more slaves to join his forces which made him a major threat.

His key features will be close to the tactics of the real historical figure.

This is all of the information we have currently. News and more details are soon to come!

View PostJosie_Javelin, on 04 January 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Any clue on what faction he will be in? Barbarian is my guess since they only have 3 commanders but none of the barbarian units really seem to suit his flavor. 

I think he may be Roman but you could be right. I did a little research on his tactics seeing as how they said he will be close to the real historical figure and found this.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2011/03/strauss-recounts-spartacus-new-york-lecture

Quoting a particular part in the lecture that might be a clue to him being part of the barbarian faction. 

"Spartacus came from Thrace, the ancient equivalent of Bulgaria," he said. "One of my students [Matthew Sears, a graduate student in classics] completed a Ph.D. thesis on the Thracian way of war, about 400 years before Spartacus. He shows that even back then the Thracians were specializing in single combat [and] excelling in the kind of things gladiators do. It shows that Spartacus fought as his people had before him. Instead of fighting the way Greeks and Romans did, lining up two armies, they would have raids and ambushes, and horsemen charging into villages and stealing things. The Romans liked to hire allies who would do that for them."

Equinox187 #9 Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

Lance-corporal

View PostJosie_Javelin, on 04 January 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

I have heard from my clan, they all believe it will be Barb. But I don't understand this in relation to historical accuracy. He was Greek. It's like saying Hannibal was a Barb...

Ardez #10 Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View PostEquinox187, on 30 January 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

I have heard from my clan, they all believe it will be Barb. But I don't understand this in relation to historical accuracy. He was Greek. It's like saying Hannibal was a Barb...

Thracians were considered barbarians by even the greeks.

WaRrKrAcK #11 Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

Sergeant

View PostArdez, on 30 January 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

Thracians were considered barbarians by even the greeks.

Fact. not to mention the fact that the vast majority of his slave army were gauls and germans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users