Requesting advice on Vici

Caesar Vici Advice Roman

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Arkkinite #1 Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:46 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

Hello commanders,

I would like some advice on how to better use Vici in battle as a Caesar commander.

I usually field medium Infantry (Centurian tree) and a cavalry unit, on occassions commando mode (inf, jav and cav). I do this as I despise artillery (dont worry ill still happily play with or against you) and really want to utilise veni to its fullest.

However, i struggle to use Vici effectively. I aim to use Vici to stop important abilities (Vegeance, defiance, anvil, or even phalanx, vici etc..), while my allied front line engages them with their usual abilities and my veni buff. However, the range of Vici (at t6) is very short, and im so close i always get touched in melee. And since the range is short, i cant possibly use it to prevent a charge.

I have thought bout using javs as the vici unit, but they tend to scatter (and make a big circle) when u move them around, and because the vici radius is measured from the centre of the unit, i am handicapped by my unit's scattering as it need to get even closer than my tighly formed infantry to use it.

Im out of ideas. Need some suggestions from the veteran commanders. Thanks a lot.

gistankz #2 Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:38 AM

Junior Sergeant

I don't have much experience with it, but I have seen it used extremely effectively against me and imo is one of the strongest abilities in the game.  Seems to do the best when a jav unit uses it since they are close enough to throw javs and have enemies in the aura of Vici.  Hopefully someone comes along and shares firsthand advice for you. 

traumadisaster #3 Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

Sergeant

I didn't even use xp for several levels to upgrade Vici because I was disappointed in the range.  Later after hearing how important it was I upgraded to t9 and the range is now pretty good.

The ideal position is standing behind melee with javs.  Only use one units ability at a time, check the duration to know when to activate the second.  Maybe flank to the back to throw javs while melee continues.

This works good when it's a clean organized line, which lasts for about 10 sec before charging Calvary, flanking enemies and chaos ensues.  So you end up running around for cover to stay out of melee.  There are times when you can do it and it seems to work well.  

You can bring 1 sword as well and keep javs behind him and use abilities.  I'm not sure when the aura widens significantly but it might just be really small at lower tiers.

wwolfvn #4 Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Sergeant

I have a Caesar with t6 javs, so my experience is to utilize the insta-caltrop as much as possible to intercept the cav charge or freeze incoming infantry, while let your jav shoot them down. Imo, caltrop is a must over extended-range consumable because you have to avoid archer at all cost anyway, so it gives more chance of survival and counter-attack the offenders. In short, when see sb coming --> insta-caltrop --> vici --> back off a bit and shoot.

In addition, bring 1 inf with you and try to squad up with archers as much as you can.

Javs have disastrous dps and are in the top priority to kill by opponent archers. So to increase the chance of survival, high-tier (t9-10) folks squads up their javs with archers, guarded by 3-4 infantry (sword/spear). The only down side is your party will become one of the targets of hatred. The basic concept is same across the board; caltrop is a must for javs.

Edited by wwolfvn, 03 January 2018 - 06:30 PM.

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

elbowsanchez #5 Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

Lance-corporal

I have found it pretty effective while standing / positioning behind melee lines of engagement.  For simplicity terms, lets say stand right behind the line of spear/pike engagements.  Pop that ability and it will negate the opposing melee spears/pikes to use their special abilities (fear, shield bash, etc).  You can then apply your veni ability to your own melee line and you have greatly improved your teams melee ability.

At some point I plan on using cavalry with Caesar and using him as a true support leader galloping around buffing my allies with his red cape and smurf hat.  Similarly what he did during the siege of Alesia.

Also use VIDI, as even though it isn't much of a speed increase, sometimes a little bit goes far and could be the difference between winning the engagement or not.   I use it when anyone comes close to me, once the ability becomes available.

Edited by elbowsanchez, 04 January 2018 - 04:58 PM.

"The evil Bert and friend."

Arkkinite #6 Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:18 AM

Junior Sergeant

Thanks for the suggestion commanders.

I guess my problem with Jav-Vici is that im pretty terrible at protecting my jav from cavalry tactics. Ill try wwolfvn's suggestion to incorporate caltrops with them.

Hey elbow, during steam era, i used to go commando mode with inf-jav-caf, and have the cav run around and support people with melee atk-def buff and DnC. But usually the result is only so-so cuz im kinda bad at multitasking. But this definitely viable if ur multitask skills is up to par.

Hey trauma, yeah until you get ranged upgrade the radius is 20m, i think 30m at t10. Meaning that is a 50% increase. Im not there yet, but in my mind this would make a huge difference. Maybe that's the reason why i struggle with vici atm at t6.

Hi robert, yeah it seems whenever i am at the receiving end of it (luckily it is rare), it is usually from a jav unit.

elbowsanchez #7 Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

Lance-corporal

View Postwwolfvn, on 03 January 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

I have a Caesar with t6 javs, so my experience is to utilize the insta-caltrop as much as possible to intercept the cav charge or freeze incoming infantry, while let your jav shoot them down. Imo, caltrop is a must over extended-range consumable because you have to avoid archer at all cost anyway, so it gives more chance of survival and counter-attack the offenders. In short, when see sb coming --> insta-caltrop --> vici --> back off a bit and shoot.

In addition, bring 1 inf with you and try to squad up with archers as much as you can.

Javs have disastrous dps and are in the top priority to kill by opponent archers. So to increase the chance of survival, high-tier (t9-10) folks squads up their javs with archers, guarded by 3-4 infantry (sword/spear). The only down side is your party will become one of the targets of hatred. The basic concept is same across the board; caltrop is a must for javs.

I witnessed [HELL]_Suntsu perform this masterfully.  It is quite effective.  (Caltrops)  Arclinon also has a video on this on his YouTube channel.
"The evil Bert and friend."

wwolfvn #8 Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

Sergeant

View Postelbowsanchez, on 04 January 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

I witnessed [HELL]_Suntsu perform this masterfully.  It is quite effective.  (Caltrops)  Arclinon also has a video on this on his YouTube channel.

I think Sun and Grizzloy (RU/CIS) are the two who have mastered this art.

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

Arkkinite #9 Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:22 AM

Junior Sergeant

I shall attempt to master this art of caltrop-javlin technique, with Vici!

Let none find me wanting.

Arclinon #10 Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

Junior Sergeant

Let me jump right in, 

Good news is on one hand yes there is a video showing how to utilize javelins better and you can find it here:

https://youtu.be/0_h8mVVsy-A

I also have another video to be released in 3 weeks which shows the essentials in using caltrops to protect your javs. Now why javelins in  vici thread? Simple Javelins synergize the best with vici for obvious reasons and their difficulty mainly comes in mastering dodging and caltrops. 

When it comes to using vici (or caesar in general ) is ability cycling. 1st step is get closer to your mainline and activate 1 of the vici's. Then select an enemy unit to make sure they stay in range. This of course takes a lot of practice to get the sweet spot between too close that your vici is cancelled and too far that you are out of range. Good news is that you get a decent range upgrade at T8. 

Step 2: Watch the duration and distance from the enemy, be cautious of flankers and people who like to pull through. 

Step 3: When duration is about to run out, activate the second one to double the duration assuming the enemy is still alive. 

Repeat til won. 

On usage of caltrops against variety of units and in action i will sadly have to ask you wait until the caltrops video is released but just like in anything in this game, there is not much you can't learn with a bit of scientific method and practice.

While we are at it, do not forget to cycle your veni and vidi as well, vidi at all times and veni when enemies are nearby.

Edited by Arclinon, 28 January 2018 - 09:10 PM.

Arkkinite #11 Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

Junior Sergeant

Thank you for your video Arclinon! I look forward to receiving your caltrop video.

Equinox187 #12 Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

Lance-corporal

View Postwwolfvn, on 03 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

This is correct!

Also tagged with Caesar, Vici, Advice, Roman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users