New to Total War: Arena

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

OmahaBattleMachine #1 Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:59 AM

Private

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

So I'm new to total war arena, and I'm looking for a commander to pick. So far, I've only play Germanicus almost to tier 4 and I do enjoy him (Haven't tried anything else). At first, playing barbarian infantry looked interesting but the more I think about it, the less useful it seems and it doesn't seem like a good fit. I would keep playing Germanicus and I LOVE it but I've heard heavy sword infantry is underpowered. My friend is playing pikes and I want something to support him too. What sounds good? Javelins? Wardogs? I really need some help. Also Cavalry seems neat too. Which is best Heavy cav?

Ardez #2 Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:03 AM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

Heavy sword infantry isn't underpowered. It does slightly less damage than medium roman infantry, but it has a good amount more armor. Combining anything with vengeance is pretty strong either way.

Anyways, if you want to assist your pike ally you can go for slingers/archers as Greece. Cav can help, but pikes deal friendly fire to allies if you run into the end of them, could be tricky. Best cavalry for charging is still Alexander + Greek but they can't stay in a fight for anything. Roman cav is better at longer fights with weaker charges, either scipio or sulla. Barbarian cav can be deadly, but are glass cannons unless you use vercingetorix with them. You wont find them very good until higher tiers though.There is no true heavy cav, but your best bet is greek or roman to get close to it.

Javs can be nice with Caesar or Sulla, but very low range. Could be an issue if you run into archers.

I'd suggest trying the heavies with germanicus first. It's all gonna get wiped, so you'll have to restart and can try something new then or now. It's up to you.

OmahaBattleMachine #3 Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:10 AM

Private

View PostArdez, on 26 December 2017 - 05:03 AM, said:

Heavy sword infantry isn't underpowered. It does slightly less damage than medium roman infantry, but it has a good amount more armor. Combining anything with vengeance is pretty strong either way.

Anyways, if you want to assist your pike ally you can go for slingers/archers as Greece. Cav can help, but pikes deal friendly fire to allies if you run into the end of them, could be tricky. Best cavalry for charging is still Alexander + Greek but they can't stay in a fight for anything. Roman cav is better at longer fights with weaker charges, either scipio or sulla. Barbarian cav can be deadly, but are glass cannons unless you use vercingetorix with them. You wont find them very good until higher tiers though.There is no true heavy cav, but your best bet is greek or roman to get close to it.

Javs can be nice with Caesar or Sulla, but very low range. Could be an issue if you run into archers.

I'd suggest trying the heavies with germanicus first. It's all gonna get wiped, so you'll have to restart and can try something new then or now. It's up to you.

Sorry, I didn't even know there was a difference between heavy and medium swords. What I saw in-game was that heavy swords were better at everything but mediums were faster?

Ardez #4 Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:39 AM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View PostOmahaBattleMachine, on 26 December 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Sorry, I didn't even know there was a difference between heavy and medium swords. What I saw in-game was that heavy swords were better at everything but mediums were faster?

mediums are definitely faster, but they have slightly better damage at higher tiers, iirc.

Edited by Ardez, 26 December 2017 - 05:39 AM.

OmahaBattleMachine #5 Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:57 AM

Private

View PostArdez, on 26 December 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

mediums are definitely faster, but they have slightly better damage at higher tiers, iirc.

Hmmm... I guess I misread the values. One more question, what cav is the best for repetitively charging the enemy not staying in combat for too long? I would presume its barbarian cav with Arminius, right?

Ardez #6 Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:00 AM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View PostOmahaBattleMachine, on 26 December 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

Hmmm... I guess I misread the values. One more question, what cav is the best for repetitively charging the enemy not staying in combat for too long? I would presume its barbarian cav with Arminius, right?

Don't forget to include upgrades when you check stats. Upgraded gear can make a big difference.

Greek is best for charge cycling, tbh.

Edited by Ardez, 26 December 2017 - 06:00 AM.

OmahaBattleMachine #7 Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:39 AM

Private

View PostArdez, on 26 December 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

Don't forget to include upgrades when you check stats. Upgraded gear can make a big difference.

Greek is best for charge cycling, tbh.

Edited by OmahaBattleMachine, 27 December 2017 - 08:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users