Can someone explain the point of Sulla?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

SwiftFishy #1 Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

I am trying to learn how to play Sulla, but he seems worse and worse the more I play. 

1. Fortify - I had my 3 units attacking 3 Germanicus Swordsmen. All the same tier, no debuffs on me, and equipment and consumables would not have made this dramatic of a difference. Even with fortify up, Germanicus's melee damage was higher than my defense and destroyed me with only taking some damage. It wasn't a close fight at all.

2. Proscription - I just need someone to explain to me a reason I should ever use this. At first I thought I should proscription and then whip, to cancel out of proscription on my troops. But proscription is a toggle and you cannot time it so that they only occur at the same time...

Thanks for the help!

R_Valle #2 Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:29 PM

Junior Sergeant

The main problem is Germanicus himself, he is just too good. With his charge and Vengeance he can take down any enemy.

SwiftFishy #3 Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

Lance-corporal

View PostR_Valle, on 25 December 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

The main problem is Germanicus himself, he is just too good. With his charge and Vengeance he can take down any enemy.

Yeah after I got him to Tier V I was like "His stats are amazing!". I just cant find a use for sulla

Ardez #4 Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:07 AM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

Proscription is awesome for a couple of reasons.

1. It only negatively affects the unit activating it, but hits ALL enemies nearby. 1 unit with proscription means the other 2 dont need to turn it on and arent effected by it. That way, when you Whip them, the difference between your melee attack and the enemies grows quite large. When you combine that with the shield defense of fortify the stats can go pretty crazy.

For example, let's look at stats with equipment

Principes

Melee Attack 101

Melee Defense 44

Shield Defense 32

At base, Fortify gives +100% Shield Defense. That turns 32 to 64. Total Melee Defense becomes 108 instead of 44. If you also activate whip you get 40% more melee attack(from base). Lets turn on base proscription as well, which reduces it by 40%, but it also reduces the enemy. This means your base melee attack isn't changed, but the enemy has 40% less. Add it all up, and if you are fighting something with similar stats your hitrate should become near 100%.

Now, as others have said the problem is that Germanicus is straight up better. It's true, he is. Vengeance is just too good. In most situations you can do well as Sulla with infantry.

The other option is Sulla Cavalry. You can still use whip and proscription. You don't get an upgraded charge, but the base charge is good enough for when you need it. Your focus should be extending cavalry battles by reducing enemy melee attack and, but nullifying the effect on your own men by using whip when needed.

SwiftFishy #5 Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:06 AM

Lance-corporal

View PostArdez, on 25 December 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

snip

I see, I thought it affected all nearby allies as well! The more I play the less I see a point to swordsmen in general. They're good against cav but normal spearmen with phalanx in a tight space win. I don't think normal spearmen need phalanx in the first place.

MikeLapTrap #6 Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:57 AM

Senior Sergeant

View PostSwiftFishy, on 25 December 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

I am trying to learn how to play Sulla, but he seems worse and worse the more I play. 

1. Fortify - I had my 3 units attacking 3 Germanicus Swordsmen. All the same tier, no debuffs on me, and equipment and consumables would not have made this dramatic of a difference. Even with fortify up, Germanicus's melee damage was higher than my defense and destroyed me with only taking some damage. It wasn't a close fight at all.

2. Proscription - I just need someone to explain to me a reason I should ever use this. At first I thought I should proscription and then whip, to cancel out of proscription on my troops. But proscription is a toggle and you cannot time it so that they only occur at the same time...

Thanks for the help!

There has been a lot more people playing Sulla lately. I will tell you right now, if you continue to fight Germanicus in the exact same way you just did and its high tiers. the result will be the same. You will die without even scratching him.

Germanicus is a great commander. Sulla is a great commander. But don't ever expect Sulla to win in fight head on without a trick or two to win.

An example is if he is half health and your full, you will still lose in a straight fight.

HeartMiner #7 Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:05 AM

Lance-corporal

you (sulla inf) engage germanicus and trigger his vengence... you run away from him and wait for vengence to deactivate... at this point you may have lost 1/3 hp and 1/4 men... you turn back and beat the shiiit out of him with 1/3 men left

but the point of sulla is really with light arty (which is uselss still) and cav. one sulla cav could take on two scipio cav in melee.

Edited by HeartMiner, 26 December 2017 - 05:11 AM.

Letum_Cruento #8 Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

Junior Sergeant

View PostMikeLapTrap, on 26 December 2017 - 02:57 AM, said:

There has been a lot more people playing Sulla lately. I will tell you right now, if you continue to fight Germanicus in the exact same way you just did and its high tiers. the result will be the same. You will die without even scratching him.

Germanicus is a great commander. Sulla is a great commander. But don't ever expect Sulla to win in fight head on without a trick or two to win.

An example is if he is half health and your full, you will still lose in a straight fight.

True.  If you run into a high level Germanicus avoid him unless you can get a Caesar to support you.  Others have explained the application of Proscription.  If you are soloing, chances are most of the players won't come to your aid, so use Sulla infantry like you use cav and use his speed to get a flank on a Germanicus unit, charge him and Proscript, then make sure between you and the other player you have flanked so you can get him routed, then chase his routed units down until dead so he can't get back into it.

Arclinon #9 Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

Junior Sergeant

Sulla imo is a support general so just like Caesar who loses in melee against just about anyone, sulla is supposed to be played in group and his abilities reflect this. 

1-Whip quick attack and move boost but also allows building stakes etc faster which can prevent access to your rear.

2-As Ardez said Proscription reduces attack by %60 only on the friendly unit that is using it while doing that to all enemies, so if you work with a germanicus neither of you take damage.

3- Fortify and proscription combo allows you to literally not take damage from quite a few units such as cavalry or most infantry allowing you to hold the enemy while your allies flank them to rout or just shoot and kill. 

Sulla solo is not how he really shines but as a team of say Germanicus or leonidas, Sulla, Cynane, Caesar You will be almost unbeatable even against pikes. 

I actually just made a video on Sulla I hope it helps.

Edited by Arclinon, 31 January 2018 - 08:09 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users