Update 2.3.2 Patch Notes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

dance210 #1 Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Administrator

Update 2.3.2 is almost here! Read below to see what is happening in the next patch.

When: Tuesday December 19 at 09:00 UTC (01:00 PT / 04:00 ET). Matchmaking will be disabled for 2 hr, until 11:00 UTC (03:00 PT / 06:00 ET)

Pike Balance

Pike units were designed to be very good at frontal engagements through the use of phalanx, with the trade-off being their vulnerability from other flanks. However, we (and you, the community) found that pike units were performing too well, even bordering on being overpowered. We received a lot of feedback about the turn speed of this unit and after an internal investigation, we found that this attribute wasn't in-line with other units, particularly while in pike phalanx.

To solve this issue, we tested a variety of different turn speeds for the pikes while looking at the knock-on effects this would have on pike equipment and certain Greek abilities before settling on the changes below. As of this patch, pike units should no longer be able to execute 180 turns in under 1 second, which increases their vulnerability window and moves them closer to their original design.

• Reduced the base turn speed on all pike units by 50%
  • Reduced turn speed by 50% on certain pike equipment pieces:
    • Silver Shield Pikemen - Silver Shield Greaves
    • Thorax Pikemen - Resplendent Classic Greaves
  • Increased the turn speed penalty on pike phalanx from 85% to 95%
  • Pike phalanx now gets the CD applied after deactivating the ability.
  • Cynane - Rapid Advance
    • Decreased base turn speed from 30% to 15%
    • Decreased the talents turn speed from a total of 25% to 15%
  • Rapid Advance now supersedes Phalanx Reposition

Victory Screen

We've changed the victory screen because the system was still based on the kills/deaths system, creating a disconnect between what players saw on the new scoreboard in battle and what they saw in the victory & defeat screen. Now, this screen is aligned with the points categories and this will hopefully help you to understand not only who the best players were, but how they had been chosen.
For the future, we’ve got bigger plans for this screen. We want to make it more exciting, more informative, and also more inclusive of a greater number of players. However, while we're not quite done with designing these new systems yet, we weren't content leaving the screen as it was in the meantime, so continuing to give feedback on how you'd like to see this screen evolve is helpful in guiding further improvements.

The victory screen has been updated to display winners based on points and not kills. Now, after the battle, a random scoreboard category is selected and displays the best players in these categories for each team. The categories are:

• Vanguard – Most aggression points
  • Guardian - Most defence points
  • Strategist – Most capture/decap points
  • Ally – Most support points

Balancing & Content Changes

• Recent user experience studies and player feedback have indicated that the "Unorderable" flag on Scipio's Oath of Perseverance was causing serious player control issues.
  • To be more specific the "Unorderable" effect when applied is preventing the unit from taking any further orders. The combination of the effect and the potential infinite duration of Oath results in a possible scenario where the player loses control over his units for prolonged periods of time (over 5 minutes). As such we have decided for now to remove the "Unorderable" effect from the ability.
  • Oath of Perseverance
    • Removed the Unorderable flag. Units now under the effect of Oath can be ordered around (move, attack, stop orders), but will still be Silenced (unable to execute other abilities while under the effect).
    • Rebalanced the ability:
      • Increased the speed penalty from 60% to 80%
      • Reduced the base defence from 50% to 40%
      • Reduced the total talents defence from 50% to 30%

Bug Fixes:

• Added "Other Bonuses" to the player battle results screen to display additional bonuses. 
  • Should no longer be 1hr long live replays displayed. 
  • Cloud replays should no longer load for a long period of time, causing significant CPU lag. 

North_wind_origin #2 Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

Can i upgrade my t8 greeks archer?

In addition to wg clients including hidden folders and games deleted and reinstalled.

HybridDragon #3 Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

Junior Sergeant

That is an improvement to the Top Players screen, but could still be better. A score number is only so meaningful. Are 193 and 166 high? I don't know.

It'd be really cool to go one level deeper and give a statistic beyond just points. Like in a base-race scenario, maybe one player prevented the enemy from capturing for X number of seconds. In a victory by annihilation, maybe someone "routed 15 units". In victory by time-over, maybe someone had a "3:1 kill death ratio".

Also consider, instead of trying to name a single Top Player, list off who was best in several categories. I'd be okay with that...

Ancient_Exile #4 Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

Zhayedan

• Silver Shield

Ohhhh man, a maneuverable Scipio in Oath............Never thought I'd see the day...........Maybe now all the "Oathed" units will actually engage their targets..........*__*

Overall its an interesting patch EXCEPT for the cool-down on the pike phalanx because the pikes are complete crap in any melee......That makes them a one shot chance type of unit and takes out the tactical repositioning that people could use to quickly fall back and re-deploy phalanx.........The cool-down will make them stale so to speak even if its only 3 seconds.........Overall though I just hope this patch doesn't come with the bugs that have been so abundant in the prior ones.........Fingers crossed.......

"You can't get blood out of a stone"

WaldoVonZude #5 Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

Junior Sergeant

I'm never playing pikes again; most of my wins are from pikes.
If I start losing like crazy, I will uninstall. Allied experts don't even want to play with me anymore!

Even my friends list was wiped! How much nerf do I have to go through?

I'm so glad I didn't spend money!

Applied Behavior Analysis uses only empirical evidence to form generalizations about human behavior. I teach about ABA, public speaking, and leadership as a hobby.

Ardez #6 Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:11 PM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View PostWaldoVonZude, on 18 December 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

If I start losing like crazy, I will uninstall. Allied experts don't even want to play with me anymore!

MP games will be in a constant state of change. If you can't roll with the punches and evolve, maybe it isn't for you?

Naacal_ #7 Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:22 PM

Lance-corporal

lmfaoXD

The pike changes do nothing for pike players that know what they're doing or are willing to somewhat get used to the honestly pretty small tweaks.

If you literally quit because of that then damn.

Already explained how ineffective the changes are on EU forums so ye.

WaldoVonZude #8 Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:35 PM

Junior Sergeant

View PostNaacal_, on 18 December 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

lmfaoXD

The pike changes do nothing for pike players that know what they're doing or are willing to somewhat get used to the honestly pretty small tweaks.

If you literally quit because of that then damn.

Already explained how ineffective the changes are on EU forums so ye.

I'm so angry, I haven't even tried it. Even if it still works, I won't build my pike tree anymore.

It is now apparent that WG wants to nerf the pikes. I must find an alternative, effective, main strategy or I will uninstall.

"If you can't roll with the punches and evolve, maybe it isn't for you? " ~Ardez

Applied Behavior Analysis uses only empirical evidence to form generalizations about human behavior. I teach about ABA, public speaking, and leadership as a hobby.

Naacal_ #9 Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:16 AM

Lance-corporal

just play archers with pikes lol barrage is still a meme that the devs refuse to change for some reason

or idk play alex/leo pikes, they're pretty broken

Ironwand #10 Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:30 AM

Lance-corporal

View PostHybridDragon, on 18 December 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

That is an improvement to the Top Players screen, but could still be better. A score number is only so meaningful. Are 193 and 166 high? I don't know.

It'd be really cool to go one level deeper and give a statistic beyond just points. Like in a base-race scenario, maybe one player prevented the enemy from capturing for X number of seconds. In a victory by annihilation, maybe someone "routed 15 units". In victory by time-over, maybe someone had a "3:1 kill death ratio".

Also consider, instead of trying to name a single Top Player, list off who was best in several categories. I'd be okay with that...

+1 to that, that is what I'd like to see

Robert_Oakridge #11 Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:24 AM

Junior Sergeant

View PostWaldoVonZude, on 18 December 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or you really thought pikes were okay and didn't need fixing?

Squeaky86 #12 Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:42 AM

Lance-corporal

Nice update, next the matchmaking should be tweeked so that ranged units and tiers are distribute evenly, one team having all the tier 7 vs the other only having tier 6 is not a fair game. One team having all the ranged and the other having none is not a balanced MM, exemple, one team has a catapult player AND an archer player while the other can s*** my d*** kind of scenario is not rare. Having catapults versus archer is still not balanced but still better than having nothing, Heck ! I even saw an MM were the enemy had 3 archer player and my team only had one barbarian cavalry, I let you imagine how that went...

The MM problem has already been dealt with in world of tanks so I dont understand why you struggle with it ??? O_o :/

Edited by Squeaky86, 19 December 2017 - 10:43 AM.

DrSocrates #13 Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:12 PM

Private

Thanks for the update, the patch notes say that the turning speed on pikes has been reduced by 50% which should feel like a lot but they seem to turn just as fast to me certainly not 50% slower, they still pass the pikes through themselves when turning, and they're still not vulnerable from the sides and rear because they're still able to lower pikes after being flanked the new cool-down prolongs this but when its over most pikes aren't routed by this time and just turn and lower pikes still contradictory to what the game says about them being vulnerable from the sides and rear, a pike unit shouldn't get the option of using pikes after they've been engaged in melee combat kinda like how testudo works, it shouldn't force them to raise their pikes but they shouldn't be able to turn and lower without invoking some sort of attack of opportunity. I believe the rapid advance nurf was too weak also, spear phalanx can still back up and turn at superhuman speeds.(faster then cavalry moves forward) To get a feel for the momentum of this game then see a phalanx unit shuffle backwards after being engaged on the flank faster then anything else is moving in that absurd, moonwalking animation kinda ruins the experience visually. I enjoy all the unit types equally it's not a matter of preference or wanting pikes to get nurfed into the ground, they should be and are invisible to melee from the front, it's just something that stands out to me, this is my dream game, the developers know best, in the end I'll adapt to any direction they decided to take.

And there can never be to much information on the victory/defeat screen for me. Thanks again, keep up the great work!

ThisNameNotUsed #14 Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

Lance-corporal

Now THIS is an Path note! 

Nice explanations behind most everything with stats mostly explained. This type of attention to the patch notes is super encouraging. This is almost LoL quality patch notes. Let this guy keep doing it and give him a raise please!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users