what am i doing wrong? struggling to get wins.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Zanleer #1 Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:51 AM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

Myself and a buddy started Total War Arena during the open invite period. during that time we have played casually but having a lot of fun doing so. So much so that we are trying to go for the 100 wins and we have made a "deal" to try and get at least 3 wins a day.

sounds easy right? not for me it hasn't. I struggle to get my three wins and it seems more of a fluke to get those three wins than anything else. so I am wondering what am i doing wrong? i saw people in chat talking about how they have high 70 to 80% win rates ... and I'm sitting at about 45% at the time of this post.

now i know its not always going to be my "fault" as its a team game and there is only so much one player can do(i come from mobas so i know how this works). But there has got to be something right? are most of these people who have high win rates in groups of 3 only? and only play in groups of 3? is it because I am using Barbarians? Falxmen? Dogs of War? and even Barb infantry? because i'm only in tier 3-5?

Now don't get me wrong I don't expect to be "MLG" or anything like that i just want to get a positive win percentage LOL.

DETrooper #2 Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Sergeant

• Praetorian
One factor might be that your enemies have commanders with astronomically upgraded unit abilities compared to you. Also, playing in groups is certainly advantageous, as it means you will have 1-3 teammates you know you can rely on and communicate more effectively with if you have voice comms.

traumadisaster #3 Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

Sergeant

View PostZanleer, on 09 December 2017 - 04:51 AM, said:

Myself and a buddy started Total War Arena during the open invite period. during that time we have played casually but having a lot of fun doing so. So much so that we are trying to go for the 100 wins and we have made a "deal" to try and get at least 3 wins a day.

sounds easy right? not for me it hasn't. I struggle to get my three wins and it seems more of a fluke to get those three wins than anything else. so I am wondering what am i doing wrong? i saw people in chat talking about how they have high 70 to 80% win rates ... and I'm sitting at about 45% at the time of this post.

now i know its not always going to be my "fault" as its a team game and there is only so much one player can do(i come from mobas so i know how this works). But there has got to be something right? are most of these people who have high win rates in groups of 3 only? and only play in groups of 3? is it because I am using Barbarians? Falxmen? Dogs of War? and even Barb infantry? because i'm only in tier 3-5?

Now don't get me wrong I don't expect to be "MLG" or anything like that i just want to get a positive win percentage LOL.

Where to start, there are some tutorials here and some basic concepts I missed for an embarrassing long time, but it will come.  

Staying near other units.  That way they may flank or help.  Do not attack when outnumbered and try not to engage unless you have advantage.  Find out the rock paper scissors of the unit you are playing and retreat often.  Learn where your unit fits in to the battle, they all have roles.

Part of the fun for me is discovering these minutiae.

mkloby #4 Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

Junior Sergeant

In short - just do your best.  Remember that there are some peculiarities w/ gameplay at the moment, in terms of skill, balance, and mechanics as the game is still in test.  Just have fun!

Edited by mkloby, 09 December 2017 - 05:19 PM.

Zusheqiel #5 Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:38 PM

Lance-corporal

Maybe try a little strategy, instead of head first into battle fighting who ever you see, stick back for a bit have everyone else dive into battle and then go where you're most needed. Or group up with a few more players, you can find them on the chat, discord, even here if you make a post, and try some set ups. If you A decent pike and archer group can do numbers to the enemy team. I should know since I was wiped out by it...

Zanleer #6 Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

Lance-corporal

so i figured out what i'm doing wrong ... i was playing solo and trying to actually fight people. what apparently i should have been doing is getting 2 buddies and attempt to avoid fighting until i get to the enemy base.

at least thats what i have seen done in basically every "higher tier" match i have been in today.

wwolfvn #7 Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:42 AM

Sergeant

Know how to retreat and avoid fights which you are not confident in winning is a key to get higher win rates.

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

HeartMiner #8 Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

Lance-corporal

Don't read your stats wrong! 45% wr is normal for newbies. In WOT, 48% is a magical number for a solo player who makes average contribution to the team everytime, and so 45% is not too bad at all! in wargaming game format (10vs10, 15vs15), soloing 55%+ wr is considered good, and in a squad 75% is considered good. But an elite squad in WOT can push it to ~93% wr, and the best solo wr is ~78% for +150 games. So don't feel strange if anyone says he has 70%+ wr in something!

I, too, started with ~45% winrate for the first ~80 games, so I created by own textbook to learn the game! I mostly watch high tier high winrate players' gameplay to learn, because this helps train your mirror neurons very quickly without having to think too hard. Your brain does the learning automatically for you! (because this game is a game of instinct, with a little bit a logical thinking and some practice)

here's a list of my collection of TWA streamer's:

Sullateli - cav

https://www.twitch.t...teli/videos/all

https://www.youtube....elf_id=0&view=0

Pellasgos - ...

https://www.twitch.t...sgos/videos/all

Grizzloy - spear and javs

https://www.twitch.t...loy1/videos/all

https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

wildbill - mid tier everything

https://www.twitch.t...l_tv/videos/all

Ponnhub - archer and cav 

https://www.twitch.t...nhub/videos/all

mothophir - roman infantry

https://www.twitch.t...phir/videos/all

heartminer - arty, archer, everything (ofc, I watch my recording to learn from myself!)

https://www.twitch.t...iner/videos/all

Savedsinner - lots of things

https://www.twitch.t...wife/videos/all

SergTBY - spear and pikes

https://www.youtube....SvpanFh13eRI3Qg

Edited by HeartMiner, 11 December 2017 - 08:24 AM.

OtterWolf #9 Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

Lance-corporal

Thanks for the list HeartMiner, I have been digging around for streamers to watch. Been watching wildbill a bit, I will add you too.

Gray Wolf Gaming Recruitment Officer      http://graywolfgamers.enjin.com/

___World of Warships OBT | World of Warplanes | Total War: Arena CBT____

HeartMiner #10 Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:43 AM

Lance-corporal

View PostOtterWolf, on 10 December 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

Thanks for the list HeartMiner, I have been digging around for streamers to watch. Been watching wildbill a bit, I will add you too.

Thanks!

wwolfvn #11 Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

Sergeant

OP: you cant go wrong with any of the list Heart provided.

Alakshak #12 Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

Private

One point I would like to make is generally closed alpha and betas usually have the more of the die hard players as well, no matter the genre. These are Total War, MOBA, or general gaming vets you are playing with. While that does not automatically make them good players, they are still going to be better on average than the average player once open to the masses. Focus on improving your game in whatever way peaks your interest and by the time it does go open you will be a killing machine. Also remember, anyone can play any role but some people are more suited for certain roles.

The fact you even posted about wanting to improve your game means you are already on you way to being better than average bro. Good luck

Zanleer #13 Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

Lance-corporal

View PostAlakshak, on 13 December 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

One point I would like to make is generally closed alpha and betas usually have the more of the die hard players as well, no matter the genre. These are Total War, MOBA, or general gaming vets you are playing with. While that does not automatically make them good players, they are still going to be better on average than the average player once open to the masses. Focus on improving your game in whatever way peaks your interest and by the time it does go open you will be a killing machine. Also remember, anyone can play any role but some people are more suited for certain roles.

The fact you even posted about wanting to improve your game means you are already on you way to being better than average bro. Good luck

i understand that but it is so damn hard to get a win in this game, i am down to 40% win percentage, and i feel like i struggle to get 2 wins out of a couple hours of matches.

i have no idea what i can do more, i am patient, i don't rush headlong into fights i just always seem to get crushed no matter what i do. how people win consistently is beyond me right now.

Edited by Zanleer, 14 December 2017 - 10:51 PM.

wwolfvn #14 Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:18 AM

Sergeant

View PostZanleer, on 14 December 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

i understand that but it is so damn hard to get a win in this game, i am down to 40% win percentage, and i feel like i struggle to get 2 wins out of a couple hours of matches.

i have no idea what i can do more, i am patient, i don't rush headlong into fights i just always seem to get crushed no matter what i do. how people win consistently is beyond me right now.

​Get some friends and form a party. That's an efficient way to improve your teamwork rather than depending on random people introduced by the matchmaking.

HeartMiner #15 Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

Lance-corporal

View Postwwolfvn, on 17 December 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

​Get some friends and form a party. That's an efficient way to improve your teamwork rather than depending on random people introduced by the matchmaking.

Sometimes the randomness is enjoyable and helps learning. Sometimes it goes too far and makes everyone a selfish player. 

Merlin_Orion #16 Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

Lance-corporal

As someone who plays mobas and other total war titles i crushed people in lower tiers when i first started out. I was late to the beta so I dropped 100 on a founder pack which mostly only was useful for buying commanders and geting early xp to skip past low tiers because low tier grind is bad.

Lower tier players usually are less experienced with the game 1+1 equals two. Sometimes you lose a lot because people are just bad at this game and this is 10vs10 you are just 1 person.

Casual gamers, are BAD at this game, they  right click, suicide or some other nonsense, have almost 0 awareness of the battle field or there team.  You will see run into spikes, put pikes on you and not call it out and many other absolute garbage tier plays that will BLOW YOUR MIND with out bad these kids really are.

Quality players will be there but not on a coordinated way . Once you hit the higher tiers more competent players will consistently be there. Even the casuals start to at least understand how to not be useless. Make friends, play to win and make sacrifices to the blood god and you will win.

Edited by Merlin_Orion, 02 January 2018 - 08:05 PM.

SuperSpud1 #17 Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

Lance-corporal

This game is all about strategy and chess tactics like others have said.  Biggest thing if an opponent is too strong pull your divisions back and hide.  If they decide to go after another target instead of you you can Attack them from the side or even from behind.  

Zurokun #18 Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

Private

Biggest tips i would say is to not blob your units, pick your engagements, and play with the team.  If there is archers or artillery, stick close to them - protect them.  Understand what counters what.  Like a lot of games VISION is most important.  Think to yourself where on the map am I most needed or will I be most effective?

2 user(s) are reading this topic