Proposal to introduce customization and player choice to unit abilities

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

balkasg #1 Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

customize unit abilities2.jpg    click to enlarge

Currently, as units progress through the high tiers they unlock new unit specific abilities that allow the unit to gain advantages in unique ways - usually with some sort of draw back attached. While this system is good for the game, and makes unit's feel unique rather than clones of lower tiers with better stats, there are some major drawbacks involved. Under this system it is possible for players to feel conflicted when choosing to tier up their units over the though of losing a unit-specific ability that they really enjoy in favor of a unit ability they may not. 

My proposed solution to this problem is to introduce an option for players to customize the unit abilities that they bring to each battle - with new abilities being unlocked by unlocking higher tier units. For example, a tier 8 heavy infantry Eagle Cohort would have a choice to be able to bring their Parry ability (unlocked by tier 6 heavy infantry) rather than be forced to use Raise Eagle ability. Furthermore, the player might be able to choose Parry on a single "tank" eagle cohort to keep their general alive better, supporting them with two eagle cohorts with Raise Eagle. This brings a number of benefits n order to not only bring power to player to cater their units to their preferred play style, but also allow for more diverse game play and meta strategies and planning allowing for more fun overall.  

Edited by balkasg, 08 November 2017 - 03:46 PM.

wwolfvn #2 Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

Sergeant

+1

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

traumadisaster #3 Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Sergeant

Sounds interesting but some units didn't historically have certain abilities.  You couldn't use the Eagle Raise ability except with that unit that did it in real life.  Another example is certain armored legionaries didnt have a pila to throw.

Although I don't oppose the idea it might ensure everyone doesn't use the same ability that happens to be op at the moment.  The current system requires different abilities.

R_Valle #4 Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

Junior Sergeant

View Posttraumadisaster, on 08 November 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

Sounds interesting but some units didn't historically have certain abilities. You couldn't use the Eagle Raise ability except with that unit that did it in real life. Another example is certain armored legionaries didnt have a pila to throw.

Although I don't oppose the idea it might ensure everyone doesn't use the same ability that happens to be op at the moment. The current system requires different abilities.

The thing is, this game isn't historically accurate anyways, adding more stuff to make the game more dynamic wouldn't hurt.

Cobboolio #5 Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Sergeant

• Praetorian
+1

DarpaHunter #6 Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:35 AM

Lance-corporal

+1.

Just add more abilities (and more consumables) when leveling up.  Rather than introducing new unit.  That way, any unit is available for tier 1 player.  Wargaming won't have to introduce useless units for us to grind.  Make up some useful special abilities to bring to the battle base on level/experience.  Match making will be much faster as well because everybody's pretty much playing the same units (except additional abilities and consumables).

With today's format, this game is forced to introduce 10 tiers of melee , horse, range units in every faction (well, not all types, but close to).

I'm anti-grinding.  It sux.  A waste of time for no reason.

R_Valle #7 Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

Junior Sergeant

We need this! +1

traumadisaster #8 Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:01 AM

Sergeant

View PostDarpaHunter, on 09 November 2017 - 01:35 AM, said:

+1.

Just add more abilities (and more consumables) when leveling up.  Rather than introducing new unit.  That way, any unit is available for tier 1 player.  Wargaming won't have to introduce useless units for us to grind.  Make up some useful special abilities to bring to the battle base on level/experience.  Match making will be much faster as well because everybody's pretty much playing the same units (except additional abilities and consumables).

With today's format, this game is forced to introduce 10 tiers of melee , horse, range units in every faction (well, not all types, but close to).

I'm against useless grinding too, but for now I enjoy all of the battles and don't mind playing through the units.  But I've had a lot of time off recently, if I can only play an hour a day it would take forever.

Chungito #9 Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

Private

View PostDarpaHunter, on 09 November 2017 - 01:35 AM, said:

+1.

View Postbalkasg, on 08 November 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

customize unit abilities2.jpg    click to enlarge

Currently, as units progress through the high tiers they unlock new unit specific abilities that allow the unit to gain advantages in unique ways - usually with some sort of draw back attached. While this system is good for the game, and makes unit's feel unique rather than clones of lower tiers with better stats, there are some major drawbacks involved. Under this system it is possible for players to feel conflicted when choosing to tier up their units over the though of losing a unit-specific ability that they really enjoy in favor of a unit ability they may not. 

My proposed solution to this problem is to introduce an option for players to customize the unit abilities that they bring to each battle - with new abilities being unlocked by unlocking higher tier units. For example, a tier 8 heavy infantry Eagle Cohort would have a choice to be able to bring their Parry ability (unlocked by tier 6 heavy infantry) rather than be forced to use Raise Eagle ability. Furthermore, the player might be able to choose Parry on a single "tank" eagle cohort to keep their general alive better, supporting them with two eagle cohorts with Raise Eagle. This brings a number of benefits n order to not only bring power to player to cater their units to their preferred play style, but also allow for more diverse game play and meta strategies and planning allowing for more fun overall.  

​Both of these. Tier system is, without hyperbole, terrible. 

traumadisaster #10 Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

Sergeant

I don't care for seeing a gaggle of Roman swords from both teams all looking identical fighting.  I'd prefer one team to have color tone difference or something to signify on the unit, not just the UI.

2 user(s) are reading this topic