EasyAntiCheat FAQ

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

dance210 #1 Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Administrator

Commanders,

With the release of patch 2.2, we’ve seen player questions and concerns about the implementation of EasyAntiCheat. While everyone can agree that anti-cheat solutions are an integral part of online competitive games, it’s completely understandable that you might have questions about EasyAntiCheat and what it means to have it installed on your computer for Total War: ARENA.

We’ve worked directly with the team over at EasyAntiCheat to answer some of your most frequently asked questions about the software.

What is EasyAntiCheat?

EasyAntiCheat is a piece of software integrated into Total War: ARENA that protects the game integrity in order to prevent cheating. The sole purpose of EAC is to help you enjoy the game by keeping it fair for everyone.

What will the new anti-cheat system do?

Anti-cheat systems work to guarantee a level playing field. Our goal with the implementation of EAC is to keep the game fun, fair, and competitive.

Is EasyAntiCheat used in other games?

EasyAntiCheat is a well-known, established game security company that’s helped over 45 games protect their players from cheaters and maintain a fair battlefield. You’ve probably played other games that have used EAC before, like For Honor, Smite, Rising Storm 2, or Dead by Daylight.

Will EasyAntiCheat record and save information from my hard drive or screenshot my desktop?

EasyAntiCheat does not contain any screenshotting, keylogging, or hard drive scanning functionality. It scans the files that are contained within the game installation folder. EAC won’t scan, and definitely won’t upload, any of your personal and non-game related files. To read more on EasyAntiCheat’s privacy policies, please visit their website. https://www.easyanticheat.net/privacy/

What permissions does it have?

EAC operates within the boundaries of all applicable privacy laws, and within Wargaming’s and Creative Assembly’s privacy principles. It’s important to know that the software won’t scan or upload any of your personal files.

What processes will it check and what personal data will it receive?

EAC verifies all processes that interact with the game process in any way. The software is limited to inspecting executable memory only (binary code executed by the CPU, not plain data). EAC may also analyze in-game gameplay actions, as gathered by the game server (for clarity, no keylogging).

Does EAC affect PC performance while playing the game?

EAC only runs when the game is running and is only concerned with game processes. We have performed extensive testing to ensure that the game’s performance is not impacted for the vast majority of players. If your experience with Total War: ARENA and EAC is different than what we’ve described, please be sure to provide feedback so we can address it directly with the developers of EAC.

Why do I need to install EAC separately? Why isn’t it integrated into the Total War ARENA client?

At this point in the beta, we have not integrated EAC directly into the client installation. We have plans to more seamlessly integrate EAC into the installation of Total War: ARENA and will update you when we do so.

Will it interfere with my antivirus?

EAC works in close cooperation with many of the world’s major antivirus companies and is a trusted whitelisted industry partner. A complete list of known compatible anti-virus software can be found on the EAC website. https://support.easyanticheat.net/kb/antivir/.

Should you find any conflicts, please contact EAC.

Does EAC interfere with video capture software?

A list of compatible video capture software is available here. https://support.easy...t/kb/recording/

Unsupported video capture software does not result in a game ban. Instead, the software in question will fail to function on Total War: ARENA. Should anyone’s favorite software be missing, contact EAC and they’ll look into providing compatibility. https://www.easyanticheat.net/contact/

Is it necessary to install it?

In order to play Total War: ARENA, players are required to install EAC.

As always, we appreciate your feedback about your experience with Total War: ARENA. We’re going to continue to listen to your feedback about this new development and will work to provide answers in a straightforward and transparent manner.

Thanks, and we’ll see you on the battlefield!

Metljoe #2 Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

Private

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

EAC's privacy page is not reassuring at all. The "For the sake of clarity" section ironically is not clear at all and instead contains lawyer-y political doublespeak. 

"We guarantee you that we do not get involved with screenshots, keylogging, or scanning your hard disk."

The phrase "get involved with" makes this more vague than just saying "we do not." I'm no lawyer but this feels like a way to do a thing while claiming you aren't doing it, and then getting off on a semantic technicality.

"We are not interested in anything that is personal to you as an individual."

They are "not interested in" our personal data but they don't deny collecting it. This is the exact same wording that spy agencies like the NSA use to justify illegally collecting data on their country's citizens. 

If they didn't scan our drives, collect our data, screenshot, and keylog our PCs, then they would just say so in a way that cannot be misunderstood--no qualifiers or vague phrases. Since they don't, it is reasonable to assume that they do those things, at least occasionally. This is very troubling and why I will not allow this software on my PC and will not be playing TWA again until it is removed as a requirement. 

Altwar #3 Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:09 AM

Private

• Players
Well darn it!  Was all ready to give Arena a shot and this EasyAntiCheat window pops up.  After reading other players not wanting to load this, I'm loath to load it as well.  Player reviews on Steam don't seem to be very kind to it either so I guess I'll just have to pass on this which is a shame.  Looks interesting!

Wintersborn #4 Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:38 AM

Lance-corporal

Are they still forcing you to download this spyware?

AnchorSandGaming #5 Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

Private

So people understand better. Your computer keeps a log(on Windows AFAIK) called a journal. Any Anti Cheat has to run with admin privileges to stop hacks. So it has access to this journal. What does this contain. Everything you have ever downloaded, websites, deleted files, txt documents, cookies, ect. You have to play ball. I am 100% for them not having access as it is (In the US) A constitutional right to PRIVACY. Just remember as all the know it all IT guys say. "If you didn't do anything wrong, don't be worried." Its [edited], but you gotta play along to get along.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users