EasyAntiCheat

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Wintersborn #21 Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

Please go look at all the games that have used this spyware and you will see why this is a very bad idea. Its not just the willful install of spyware on your computer it also causes game breaking issues in a lot of games, just check their forums and see.

If this company can not find a way to prevent fog of war mods without this risk then what does that tell you about the companies technical ability?

Again do a quick search and you will see all the ways players have had to bypass EAC to fix game play issues let alone real cheaters.

All this does is put players at a huge risk and does nothing to stop real hackers.

EnlightenU #22 Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Private

Its simple. Stopping the cheating is something the developers do. They can find other ways to stop cheating instead of forcing me to download this crap. I buy/ or test games to play. I do not and will not accept being forced to download ANY program that gets access to my computer, just to play a game. No...no way...no how. Ill check it again next week, if it is still required, Ill uninstall and be done with TWA

Bulluck_1 #23 Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

Lance-corporal

View PostEnlightenU, on 25 October 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Its simple. Stopping the cheating is something the developers do. They can find other ways to stop cheating instead of forcing me to download this crap. I buy/ or test games to play. I do not and will not accept being forced to download ANY program that gets access to my computer, just to play a game. No...no way...no how. Ill check it again next week, if it is still required, Ill uninstall and be done with TWA

you may or may not be aware of this but if you have ever played dota, LoL, overwatch, battlefield or any number of other multiplayer games you are allowing the same kind if program to run. They are all, essentially, spyware. Most companies develop their own but arena is choosing to use a third party program. If, when starting a game, you have ever click 'ok' in the little pop up box that "League of legends is trying to access your computer" you are allowing spyware to run on your computer. Now, i cant say if there is a particular problem with easy Anti cheat or not but are any of them perfect??

Wintersborn #24 Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Lance-corporal

View PostBulluck_1, on 25 October 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

you may or may not be aware of this but if you have ever played dota, LoL, overwatch, battlefield or any number of other multiplayer games you are allowing the same kind if program to run. They are all, essentially, spyware. Most companies develop their own but arena is choosing to use a third party program. If, when starting a game, you have ever click 'ok' in the little pop up box that "League of legends is trying to access your computer" you are allowing spyware to run on your computer. Now, i cant say if there is a particular problem with easy Anti cheat or not but are any of them perfect??

Most FPS that use a anti cheat system prevent game data modification (Injectors etc.) or monitor hit detection in game.

They DO NOT run a Key Logger and they DO NOT take screenshots of your computer or record your UID's and complete runtime memory. They also do not store, save and publish that data as EAC does.

Malovane #25 Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

Private

The company has no about page and no specific infos for reassurance - they can say what they want on the FAQ but do they have any reputation in the market ? who are they ? I will not install this for now...

Wakeupdead #26 Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Private

I installed this stuff but I have to say Im all for not cheating, but to add this kinda crap to the game isnt good either. I would suggest putting your anti cheating software in the game itself and not making people install 3rd party software on top of the game. Just saying perception is everything! And like poster above no info what we were installing at first I didnt install like 4 times wondering what it was. I looked here and then ok fine but man, with all the spam software in programs downloaded these days yeah, didnt trust it at all.

UPDATE, 1 min later, Im starting game I got kicked for cheating, wth????I have no mods installed whatsoever and isnt this beta, what mods are there anyhow. Why play if im gunna get kicked for no reason!

Update #2 ok kicked twice mid game Anti cheat! WTH, I have no idea what this is, I have NOTHING installed on my pc or on this game What is is targeting to claim Im cheating? I was doing well in game both times was with the same general, I dont get this its all just [edited]!

IM DONE! No more Arena for me, thanks WG for messing up another game I liked!

Edited by Wakeupdead, 26 October 2017 - 06:21 PM.

Tyrson #27 Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:11 AM

Private

Sorry, was just going to get into it. Not going too install, guess it's back to ... other stuff.

I might check back from time to time.

Luck WG

CSM_HQ_Coy #28 Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Private

Im out. This Software has just made me Uninstall your Arena game.

TTFN

Frith #29 Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

Lance-corporal

So it's been a few days, and I've been checking back every day to see if there are any developments on this issue.  I have no misconception that the totalwararena team is going to immediately remove this requirement just because a few people have expressed issue with it.  The majority of players probably don't even realize what it is or what it does, they just want to play.

I joined TWA soon after getting the invite to join the closed beta, and I've tried to do what the term "beta tester" implies; I've tried to give intelligent and thoughtful feedback.  I've played several similar games over the last decade or so.  So I'd like to offer my feedback regarding this issue.  I'd ask that a developer respond to this thread to allay the concerns.  A quick post, ten minutes of a developer's time, would probably satisfy most of the people concerned with this.  All I really want to know is why the development team believe easyanticheat poses no security risk to the players.  That's all.

I know the developers pay attention to our feedback, as they are doing an awesome job using our feedback for the updates.  But occasionally, it would be nice to hear from someone regarding a specific issue.  The reassurance could have been included in the update notes, but it wasn't.

dance210 #30 Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

Senior Sergeant

Hi guys,

I understand that some of you are upset/worried about needing to install EasyAntiCheat. I am working on getting answers to some of the major concerns and questions. While that is happening, I encourage those who may be looking for more information to check out the EasyAntiCheat website, which show other games that also use this program, and the Frequently Asked Questions and Privacy Policy sections of the website.

Ardez #31 Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:57 PM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View Postdance210, on 27 October 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

Hi guys,

I understand that some of you are upset/worried about needing to install EasyAntiCheat. I am working on getting answers to some of the major concerns and questions. While that is happening, I encourage those who may be looking for more information to check out the EasyAntiCheat website, which show other games that also use this program, and the Frequently Asked Questions and Privacy Policy sections of the website.

Thank you for the reply dance. If possible, I'd like to know the answers to two questions as well.

1. What prompted the addition of EAC; whether it was evidence of cheating/abuse or pre-emptive action to prevent it in the future that made the decision?

2. How much active control does WG/CA have over the EAC implementation in order to review and repeal bans? If banned falsely, should a player reach out to EAC or WG?

Appreciated

EnlightenU #32 Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:37 PM

Private

Bottom line....Im not playing a game that requires this. I dont care how safe you say it is. There are many other games out there that dont make us download crap programs like these. Good luck with your game....you're going to need it with policies like these.

Praetorianum #33 Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

Private

• Players

I was used to play a game called Navyfield few years ago and they implemented Hackshield(rootkit similar as EAC). Result, in 3 months the game lost quite half of the players.

I did not play that game till it was removed and gonna not install EAC in my pc aswell.

Renarri #34 Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:27 AM

Private

So how do we get our Founder's pack refunded?

Metljoe #35 Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

Private

Is there any update on this issue? I hate cheaters and cheating but there is no chance I am installing this shady piece of software on my PC either. I and my friends will not be playing TWA again unless/until EAC is gone.

dance210 #36 Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

View PostMetljoe, on 02 November 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

Is there any update on this issue? I hate cheaters and cheating but there is no chance I am installing this shady piece of software on my PC either. I and my friends will not be playing TWA again unless/until EAC is gone.

Hi Metljoe,

We have posted a FAQ to answer some of the commonly asked questions. At this time, this is the only update regarding EasyAntiCheat. If you have any questions about this program, I will be happy to try and get answers for you :)

attackturtle #37 Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:14 AM

Private

I'm not a cheater, & I aplaud WG's efforts to fight this very difficult problem, but I have my own secrets. I have loads of copyrighted, software on my computer that this software would appear to illegally redistribute. I object wholeheartedly to this invasion of my privacy, and what I consider illegal expropriation of my copyrighted memory and hard drive contents.

I regret I must therefore stop participating in the closed beta.

Ardez #38 Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View Postattackturtle, on 18 November 2017 - 01:14 AM, said:

I'm not a cheater, & I aplaud WG's efforts to fight this very difficult problem, but I have my own secrets. I have loads of copyrighted, software on my computer that this software would appear to illegally redistribute. I object wholeheartedly to this invasion of my privacy, and what I consider illegal expropriation of my copyrighted memory and hard drive contents.

I think you might misunderstand what EAC does on your PC.

Block Quote

Monitoring of Unit

When you are using the Software Product on your Unit EasyAntiCheat is monitoring the Unit, analyzing the Game binaries and scanning the memory of the Unit for the purpose of detecting and preventing cheating in the Game (“Purpose”;).

EasyAntiCheat only runs when the game is running, and is only concerned with the Unit's memory space relevant to the game process. EasyAntiCheat unloads itself automatically as soon as the game process has exited. To verify the runtime duration, monitor the EasyAntiCheat service status in the Services panel in Windows Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL). Note that if the EasyAntiCheat service is manually stopped prior to the game exiting, it may be so that parts of EasyAntiCheat remain active in memory until the Unit is restarted.

Analysis of Data

For the Purpose EasyAntiCheat is storing information regarding cheating methods used in the Game (“Data”;).

We only handle data relevant to the identification of cheats as found in the Unit's runtime memory during online play or as collected by the game server, with the sole purpose of identifying the presence of hack or cheat programs. Other than that, we do not handle or store any data on individual users and have no intent to ever do so. The data does not contain any personally identifiable information. There are three steps in how session specific data is stored and processed.

1. Analysis:: Data is sent from the Unit and processed in real–time on our back–end. If nothing abnormal is found, the data is discarded instantly.
  2. Red flag analysis:: If unknown or suspicious patterns are found, we store those pieces of memory for manual analysis. If the pattern doesn't proof to be a cheat, the Data is discarded usually within one month and at most three months. This means that a delayed ban can be placed up to three months after the offense.
  3. Known cheat pattern:: The piece of memory is stored indefinitely as evidence. This allows us to reliably reevaluate bans upon request.

Third–party Data Sharing

The Data will be used solely for the Purpose including but not limited to identifying and banning players who are cheating in computer games, analyzing cheating behavior and cheating codes as well as sharing data about cheats with affiliates of EasyAntiCheat.

We see two ways in which we may end up sharing Data with third parties.

1. The game developer can use our online service portal and query our web API with GUIDs to get the ban status. We provide ban reason, ban time, and the IP of the game server on which the initial detection occurred.
  2. We may hire services that could be considered as 3rd party, e.g. subcontractors. The purpose is to develop competent anti–cheat software. Any 3rd party is required to follow the same privacy policies as EasyAntiCheat. As we do not store any data sensitive to ones personal privacy, we cannot and do not share such data with any 3rd party.

For the Sake of Clarity

Throughout history several anti–cheat solutions have gained a reputation of being invasive to the end–user privacy, and have thereby given the entire sector a bad name. We see countering cheating as a fight based on merit and coding excellence, not one of witch hunts and assumptions. We guarantee you that we do not get involved with screenshots, keylogging, or scanning your hard disk. We are not interested in anything that is personal to you as an individual.

dance210 #39 Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

Senior Sergeant

View Postattackturtle, on 17 November 2017 - 10:14 PM, said:

Hi attackturtle,

I understand your concerns. As Ardez mentioned and as we posted in the FAQ, EasyAntiCheat is solely interested in files associated with the game installation folder, not the rest of your computer. 

Wintersborn #40 Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:37 AM

Lance-corporal

Just giving this beta a second chance, did they remove this spyware yet?

dance210 you may want to read what EAC all collects and monitors, it is so much more than just game files. I think we have quoted enough from their website that anyone can see why no one wants this spyware.

2 user(s) are reading this topic