EasyAntiCheat

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

VeegerTx #1 Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

Just updated to 2.2 and clicked Play and this pops up wanting to install. Is this part of the game? If I don't install it won't start the game.

OK found answer in Closed Beta 2.2 Patch Notes but searching forums don't show this. Search is messed up here big time. Go up there and paste this EasyAntiCheat

NEW - EasyAntiCheat Integration

We have integrated EasyAntiCheat into Total War: ARENA, with the intention of dissuading cheaters and countering hacking attempts that may have implications on the community experience. When launching this update for the first time you will be prompted to install EAC in order to launch and play the game. Further information can be found, including any FAQs, if you have installation and setup issues via their website: https://www.easyanticheat.net/.

I don't cheat but Crap I hate installing junk like this cause from what I'm reading its a Keylogger and takes random snapshots and I like to keep crapola out of my system

Edited by VeegerTx, 24 October 2017 - 01:06 PM.

GeneralEdwn #2 Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Private

• Players
if you want anyone to play your game, remove this crap and if it's really needed, implement it in the current launcher, without forcing people to install some additional software. I won't play Arena anymore, until this is gone. What's even the point? I haven't faced any (obvious) cheaters in all of my games + anticheat software is easily!! bypassed by those, who make the cheats. Remove it.

Wintersborn #3 Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

Lance-corporal

This is a HUGE security risk and everyone knows it.

This is such a monumental screw up, please fire the person that thought downloading spyware was a good selling point!

Frith #4 Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Lance-corporal

I agree with the above sentiment.  Requiring third-party software to be separately installed raises many questions.  I'm sure the game is protected from any liability by the terms in the TOS, but I'm going to have to seriously consider if I like this game enough to take the additional risk.

dance210 #5 Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

Hi guys. Please keep discussion about EasyAntiCheat in this thread. As a reminder: spamming the same or similar topics or posts is not allowed.

gmcoy #6 Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

Junior Sergeant

View PostVeegerTx, on 24 October 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

Just updated to 2.2 and clicked Play and this pops up wanting to install. Is this part of the game? If I don't install it won't start the game.

OK found answer in Closed Beta 2.2 Patch Notes but searching forums don't show this. Search is messed up here big time. Go up there and paste this EasyAntiCheat

NEW - EasyAntiCheat Integration

We have integrated EasyAntiCheat into Total War: ARENA, with the intention of dissuading cheaters and countering hacking attempts that may have implications on the community experience. When launching this update for the first time you will be prompted to install EAC in order to launch and play the game. Further information can be found, including any FAQs, if you have installation and setup issues via their website: https://www.easyanticheat.net/.

I don't cheat but Crap I hate installing junk like this cause from what I'm reading its a Keylogger and takes random snapshots and I like to keep crapola out of my system

Yea, we are been watch as we speak.

"There is no shame in fear, there is only shame in letting fear rule you. Try not to look scared and you will find bravery in your heart!"

C. Gibbs 

Cobboolio #7 Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

Sergeant

• Praetorian

Can someone provide me with the information that says this is spyware, it takes screenshots, logs keys etc. in a harmful manner?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but without evidence I'm skeptical...

EAC

"EasyAntiCheat only runs when the game is running, and is only concerned with the Unit's memory space relevant to the game process. EasyAntiCheat unloads itself automatically as soon as the game process has exited."

EAC

"We only handle data relevant to the identification of cheats as found in the Unit's runtime memory during online play or as collected by the game server, with the sole purpose of identifying the presence of hack or cheat programs. Other than that, we do not handle or store any data on individual users and have no intent to ever do so. The data does not contain any personally identifiable information."

EAC

"We guarantee you that we do not get involved with screenshots, keylogging, or scanning your hard disk. We are not interested in anything that is personal to you as an individual."

Edited by Cobboolio, 24 October 2017 - 07:17 PM.

ArcheKlaine #8 Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

Private

• Players

Moderated by Volier_Zcit

Edited by Volier_Zcit, 25 October 2017 - 05:56 AM.

Wintersborn #9 Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

Lance-corporal

I posted all the facts from their own website and those posts got deleted as damage control.

It is a kernel level program that takes and sends screenshots and hard drive/memory scans as well as key logger data to a server for review, personal data and all.

But they promise not to look at or sell your personal data that they collected and we all know how that goes.

Quotes:

"We guarantee you that we do not get involved with screenshots, keylogging, or scanning your hard disk. We are not interested in anything that is personal to you as an individual."

"By installing, copying, or otherwise using this Software Product, you give your consent that EasyAntiCheat may gather, store, share and publish Data"

"Upon registration or during the use of the Game, we may collect the following data from the Players:

 Username or player account identifier (Username, password and email address) 

 In-game reports filed by Players

 In-game movements and other gameplay behavior; (Key Logger) 

 Technical information about the hardware used to play the game, such as motherboard manufacturer, CPU identifier, GPU identifier (Hardware bans)

 Technical information about the methods, technics, technologies or alike used by the Player within the Game that may be suspected to be unacceptable or may indicate the use of unacceptable methods; and/or

 Other equivalent information (all real-time data during gameplay)

In addition, the Service may collect automatically saved data, such as the technical log of the server (e.g. Player’s IP-address, Player’s session history), during the use of the Game"

Edited by Wintersborn, 24 October 2017 - 07:59 PM.

Wintersborn #10 Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

Lance-corporal

Not only is it not needed and a real security risk it causes alot of game breaking problems, just go look at the issues they have in other games that use it.

It gets flagged as a virus or spyware because it is and the company has to have it "Whitelisted" so security software can be bypassed.

A simple search will show you all the problems and reasons why it should be avoided as well as all the ways to disable it. If you can watch a YouTube video you can bypass this ineffective spyware so it only hurts honest players and does nothing to those who cheat.

Quote: "We are constantly improving the EasyAntiCheat user experience and working with major anti-virus companies to get EasyAntiCheat whitelisted permanently"

Edited by Wintersborn, 24 October 2017 - 07:55 PM.

Cobboolio #11 Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

Sergeant

• Praetorian

View PostWintersborn, on 24 October 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

I posted all the facts from their own website and those posts got deleted as damage control.

It is a kernel level program that takes and sends screenshots and hard drive/memory scans as well as key logger data to a server for review, personal data and all.

But they promise not to look at or sell your personal data that they collected and we all know how that goes.

Quotes:

"By installing, copying, or otherwise using this Software Product, you give your consent that EasyAntiCheat may gather, store, share and publish Data"

"Upon registration or during the use of the Game, we may collect the following data from the Players:

 Username or player account identifier;

 In-game reports filed by Players;

 In-game movements and other gameplay behavior; (Key Logger) 

 Technical information about the hardware used to play the game, such as motherboard manufacturer, CPU identifier, GPU identifier;

 Technical information about the methods, technics, technologies or alike used by the Player within the Game that may be suspected to be unacceptable or may indicate the use of unacceptable methods; and/or

 Other equivalent information

In addition, the Service may collect automatically saved data, such as the technical log of the server (e.g. Player’s IP-address, Player’s session history), during the use of the Game"

I think you're missing some words...

"we do not get involved with screenshots, keylogging, or scanning your hard disk. We are not interested in anything that is personal to you as an individual."

Edited by Cobboolio, 24 October 2017 - 08:02 PM.

Wintersborn #12 Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

Lance-corporal

No, the fact of the matter is that they are collected regardless if someone gets around to personally looking at it (Getting Involved).

Cobboolio #13 Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

Sergeant

• Praetorian

View PostWintersborn, on 24 October 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

No, the fact of the matter is that they are collected regardless if someone gets around to personally looking at it (Getting Involved).

1. Analysis:: Data is sent from the Unit and processed in real–time on our back–end. If nothing abnormal is found, the data is discarded instantly.
  2. Red flag analysis:: If unknown or suspicious patterns are found, we store those pieces of memory for manual analysis. If the pattern doesn't proof to be a cheat, the Data is discarded usually within one month and at most three months. This means that a delayed ban can be placed up to three months after the offense.
  3. Known cheat pattern:: The piece of memory is stored indefinitely as evidence. This allows us to reliably reevaluate bans upon request.

So, if you're not a cheater - data is discarded

If you're under suspicion, but not a cheater - data kept for one month

Cheater - data is kept

But to be clear, this isn't personal information, it's data relating to the game.

EnlightenU #14 Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

Private

Uninstalling until the easy anti cheat crap is gone. Cant believe they tried to put us all at risk like that.

Kaiser_Lulzhelm #15 Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

Private

I'm not too keen on having this addition to TWA. Sure, call it paranoia and the program may be benign overall; but it adds a possibility of abuse. Like when I hand my credit card to the waiter at a restaurant, sure it's innocuous overall but when said person is out of line of sight, what is to stop them from jotting down my number and CVV? This program has a keylogger and screenshotter but what is to prevent it from collecting data inadvertently and send it over to god knows where? It is a human element factor that you're trusting a random 3rd party program that is hopefully supervised properly and audited correctly.

This program has far reaching and overbearing actions for system privileges, and I will not allow it on my system. Unfortunately, I have a founder's pack invested in this and will heavily consider getting a refund and/or chargeback until this program is removed and a far more secure system is found as an alternative. I hope the dev's will realize the human element factor for 3rd party programs will always be a security risk and something to take into consideration. Please review this, and consider removing it. Thanks.

Beans #16 Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

Lance-corporal

Am I the only one NOT worried about it? Easy Anti Cheat is used a quite a few games already.

If you want to stop hacks (especially fog of war, ESP type hacks) you need to collect data. How else do you expect to have any functional anti cheat? Lots of RTS games get ruined by fog of war hacks (Company of Heroes series). I'm glad they are implementing anti cheat measures.

Edited by Beans, 24 October 2017 - 10:44 PM.

VeegerTx #17 Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

Lance-corporal

I could understand if the game was being over run with cheats say like aiming system on Wot but they handling that thing well. I mean good grief this is still beta. I've heard nothing of any cheats. Enough to make me drop this and go back to Wot and Wows

Solipsism #18 Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:22 AM

Private

Let me first say that I've been an active Tanks player for 3 years now, I enjoy the game and follow the forums, yet have never made a post. This is the first time I've ever felt the need to post on a WG forum.

I picked up the Arena beta last week after having been in the alpha tests 2 years ago. I'm working my way up the tiers, seeing what's changed. Today, the game updated to 2.2, I click play, and then a popup appears asking me to install Easy Anti Cheat. I'm familiar with this program and it's a known bloatware/spyware, so I click no, and the game launch fails.

Well guess what? I'm not playing this game if it requires Easy Anti Cheat. Period. To anyone reading this - Easy Anti Cheat should be avoided like the plague and is a huge security risk. There doesn't seem to be any need for anti-cheat in closed beta the first place! WG, either you remove this junk ASAP or this game will fail rapidly.

ApolloBez #19 Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

We hd a whole thread on suspected hacking just prior to the beta launch
If you can't beat'em, join'em; (and wait for a better opportunity to strike).   

Bulluck_1 #20 Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

Lance-corporal

Doesn't all anti cheat software work in basically the exact same way?? The only difference is that they're making you download it yourself instead of integrating it. Anti cheat is in literally 1000's of multiplayer games. I think you're all be a little paranoid. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users