[Tutorial] Unit Tactics: Heavy Sword Infantry

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Arclinon #1 Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:11 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

As it stands now Sword infantry is pretty underpowered in the meta from my observations but that does not stop me from playing my main. So here are some tips and demonstration on how to play Heavy infantry. Note, in the replay there was no vengeance to focus on the unit abilities and charge mechanics. 

Letum_Cruento #2 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:17 AM

Junior Sergeant

Good example of flanking using your units separately.  There are times though, when I'd like to "charge" in formation and envolope other units.  I'm hoping that just a key map will allow you to "lock" your formations and "unlock" it (toggle).  When I mix my Roman units, it would allow me to charge and still hold my flanking units on the flank, then "wrap around" to flank them manually.

VeegerTx #3 Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

Lance-corporal

View PostArclinon, on 24 September 2017 - 04:11 AM, said:

As it stands now Sword infantry is pretty underpowered in the meta from my observations but that does not stop me from playing my main. So here are some tips and demonstration on how to play Heavy infantry. Note, in the replay there was no vengeance to focus on the unit abilities and charge mechanics.

Thanks for the tut.

Now maybe another tut or info.

If i'm using swordsmen and advancing up the line do I need to get every upgrade to them? I'm thinking so cause I see other people with same units as me but they are much stronger overall. I am wondering how they got there? Currently at T4 with Hastati and all upgrades I can do, is that the correct way?

I am advancing all Abilities of commander also Germanicus

Arclinon #4 Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Junior Sergeant

View PostVeegerTx, on 14 October 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

Thanks for the tut.

If i'm using swordsmen and advancing up the line do I need to get every upgrade to them? I'm thinking so cause I see other people with same units as me but they are much stronger overall. I am wondering how they got there? Currently at T4 with Hastati and all upgrades I can do, is that the correct way?

Generally yes. It is worst at t4 because you will have some other germanicus players with vengeance while you don't which swings the battle to their favor quite wildly. I personally only upgrade the critical path to the next unit. What i suggest you do is, before you engage click on enemy unit to see if their stats are higher and if they have vengeance. If they do have vengeance, do not engage, let him waste his vengeance on someone else and come in to clean up. If he doesnt but only has higher stats, stick with your team and try to flank. Baiting him can work as well but its a tactic that relies on your opponent making a mistake so i tend to avoid it.

wwolfvn #5 Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:17 AM

Sergeant

View PostVeegerTx, on 14 October 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

Thanks for the tut.

Arclinon has given a good intro to the basic. I just want to add that you should have a look at each gears and determine what is necessary, what's not, e.g. Medium inf are lower in melee def, so body armour that boost this stat category is a must. Try to understand the meaning of the stat (there is a thread about game mechanics in the general discussion). Remember that for many units, a full-gear is generally better than the next tier with no gear, but it will set you back if your priority is depth traveral in the tech tree.

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

traumadisaster #6 Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

Sergeant

Tutorial was good thanks.  I happened to see it late after learning on my own but I think experimenting is a lot of fun!  Funny at the end he calls out the complainer in chat. I think there is a learning curve and process players might go through depending on their experience in gaming and their appeal to the game.  This process is learning these game concepts and how to apply them.  I certainly understand many of the thoughts and comments players have in the low levels and I've noticed how I've changed my philosophy of the game as I've played more and leveled up.

Goedeke_M #7 Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

Lance-corporal

I like to get all stuff. But then I'm not focusing on that one general I want to advandce with but play all my daily victories. Nice side effect is that quite often I end up haveing already got stuff with some other unit so I just have to buy it with silver rather than EXP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users