Units unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ApolloBez #1 Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

Still having a big problem with units stalling for several seconds after given orders, or not responding at all.. using up valuable time at the most inopportune moments.

Also units are getting stuck in corners, suddenly changing directions while moving

If you can't beat'em, join'em; (and wait for a better opportunity to strike).   

KingJofreThe001 #2 Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Sergeant

• Praetorian
I've had units lock up for 6+ seconds this weekend while the battle goes on around me. I got to watch Alex cav line up a charge on my falxmen last night with no way to respond. It's getting ridiculous.

#WhereisBoudica 

#WarpuppyTime

Bulluck_1 #3 Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

Lance-corporal

This is one of my biggest issues with the game and has been for a long time. I don't get mad easily but I find this to be rage inducing. 

KingJofreThe001 #4 Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

Sergeant

• Praetorian
Apparently, if you play on practice mode, the lag disappears completely. I've never gotten around to checking out the claim.

#WhereisBoudica 

#WarpuppyTime

ApolloBez #5 Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

Yeah, micro managing is all but impossible...  I'll send a unit someplace, turn and fight with another, only to see the other unit hasn't moved... 

wwolfvn #6 Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:33 PM

Sergeant

View PostApolloBez, on 19 September 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

Still having a big problem with units stalling for several seconds after given orders, or not responding at all.. using up valuable time at the most inopportune moments.

Also units are getting stuck in corners, suddenly changing directions while moving

Some unfortunate turn of events such as getting into base to decap only to find yourself get stucked in the corner with unresponsive unit, and the clock was still ticking..

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

ApolloBez #7 Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

View Postwwolfvn, on 20 September 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Some unfortunate turn of events such as getting into base to decap only to find yourself get stucked in the corner with unresponsive unit, and the clock was still ticking..

Yeah, or sitting in the open, stalled, watching an enemy unit barreling down on you, and your powerless to move, or even face them..... and right about the time they're making a devastating impact on your flanks, you start to move... (AND THIS HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE MATCH WITH ME!!!!)

And the problem of units still only partially engaging in combat, under normal conditions, still exists. It's frustrating to pull off a charge, and 30 percent of a unit passes right by the enemy.... then never turns and moves back into combat. The just stand there... out in nowhere... looking around..

Heck, some folks want to keep whining about OP this and that, but if units would respond effectively, and engage fully, it would be a entirely different game.    

Edited by ApolloBez, 21 September 2017 - 12:32 PM.

Sulrn #8 Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:24 AM

Private

Units being non-responsive or getting stuck on terrain and stalling until reformed is certainly ridiculous, but the game does indeed have balance and game play issues that need to be discussed as well.

No amount of latency/net code/engine reworks will change that. The meta is the way it is for a reason.

wwolfvn #9 Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:43 AM

Sergeant

View PostSulrn, on 21 September 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

Units being non-responsive or getting stuck on terrain and stalling until reformed is certainly ridiculous, but the game does indeed have balance and game play issues that need to be discussed as well.

No amount of latency/net code/engine reworks will change that. The meta is the way it is for a reason.

The above sentences need lots of reworks to be able to actually demonstrate any relevant discussion to the topic being discussed.

ApolloBez #10 Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

Senior Sergeant

View PostSulrn, on 21 September 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

This isn't the topic....  I've been playing this game for years, and have seen "this and that" get buffed, and strengthened, (i.e. Alexander's charge impact is too much presently), but that doesn't change the fact that if your units don't do as they're told, no one can tell how well they preform anyway. 

SjanaWilgani #11 Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

Private

• Players

My cavalry is unresponsive quite often, and today I had an even worse problem. The routing went completely nuts.

I'll show you some screenshots of the route my units were taking when I ordered them straight across the field.

Spoiler

Oh yeah don't mind  the chat, I was pretty heated already and then that happened. Heh

Edited by SjanaWilgani, 22 September 2017 - 06:41 PM.

wwolfvn #12 Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:39 AM

Sergeant

View PostSjanaWilgani, on 22 September 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

My cavalry is unresponsive quite often, and today I had an even worse problem. The routing went completely nuts.

I'll show you some screenshots of the route my units were taking when I ordered them straight across the field.

Spoiler

Oh yeah don't mind  the chat, I was pretty heated already and then that happened. Heh

Aye.

May be using Google Map to guide the unit onto the shortest path then. :D

Ackturi #13 Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:18 AM

Lance-corporal

View PostSjanaWilgani, on 22 September 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

Spoiler

Try hitting B to cancel any previous orders. I alt tab frequently and sometimes that messes up too until I do it again. Just some tips that helped me out but even so I still get bad listeners in my units.

ApolloBez #14 Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

OH MY WORD...!!!   

IT'S GETTING WORSE   "HEAD IN HANDS"

1. ​Dissimilar "Friendly" units that touch during a charge will freeze, and stop moving forward
  2. Infantry Units will typically come to a complete stop, after a charge
  3. Cavalry charges stop completely after the first horse touches the enemy unit
  4. Cavalry units, after a successful charge, will just stand static, mixed with enemy units, (Archers), and not fight; or, having run through the enemy unit on a successful charge, cavalry will stand still, and will not turn around and return to the knocked down enemy "archers", and engage in fighting, (with out contestant ordering)
  5. Infantry charges stop completely after the first warrior touches the enemy unit

​This is a game of long periods of positioning, and moving units around the field without fighting; then precious seconds of fighting and looking/taking advantage of opportunities.

DELAYS, STUDDERING, HAVING TO RE-ORDER UNITS OVER AND OVER TO GET THEM TO RESPOND, RIDICULOUS BLOWN CHARGES, ETC...   DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF THE GAME, AND ARE MAKING ARENA FRUSTRAITING AND BORING... !

traumadisaster #15 Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Sergeant

View PostApolloBez, on 20 November 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

OH MY WORD...!!!   

IT'S GETTING WORSE   "HEAD IN HANDS"

1. ​Dissimilar "Friendly" units that touch during a charge will freeze, and stop moving forward
  2. Infantry Units will typically come to a complete stop, after a charge
  3. Cavalry charges stop completely after the first horse touches the enemy unit
  4. Cavalry units, after a successful charge, will just stand static, mixed with enemy units, (Archers), and not fight; or, having run through the enemy unit on a successful charge, cavalry will stand still, and will not turn around and return to the knocked down enemy "archers", and engage in fighting, (with out contestant ordering)
  5. Infantry charges stop completely after the first warrior touches the enemy unit

​This is a game of long periods of positioning, and moving units around the field without fighting; then precious seconds of fighting and looking/taking advantage of opportunities.

DELAYS, STUDDERING, HAVING TO RE-ORDER UNITS OVER AND OVER TO GET THEM TO RESPOND, RIDICULOUS BLOWN CHARGES, ETC...   DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF THE GAME, AND ARE MAKING ARENA FRUSTRAITING AND BORING... !

Anger issues? Can we just discuss without screaming like a 2 year old?  I suppose if you've paid some money I could see why you would be irritated, but  maybe betas aren't for you.

I've not seen much of this non responding troops.  I have noticed if you select a target that requires you to change direction and then very quickly charge, the formation direction has not yet shifted, and the charge will occur and miss the target as they had not rotated yet.  I dont mind this loss of commander control as it simulates what would happen in history as when you hear a charge order you don't question, nor can you see the threat, by God you go, into a wall, or off a cliff as we see in game.

1-3.  Don't recall this.  Possibly they are heavy armoured and really slow down, but I've not seen freezing.

4.  I have seen the horses mill about like you describe.

5. Not seen.

Studdering from cpu lag is bad.

ApolloBez #16 Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

Senior Sergeant

View Posttraumadisaster, on 20 November 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Anger issues? Can we just discuss without screaming like a 2 year old?  I suppose if you've paid some money I could see why you would be irritated, but  maybe betas aren't for you.

I've not seen much of this non responding troops.  I have noticed if you select a target that requires you to change direction and then very quickly charge, the formation direction has not yet shifted, and the charge will occur and miss the target as they had not rotated yet.  I dont mind this loss of commander control as it simulates what would happen in history as when you hear a charge order you don't question, nor can you see the threat, by God you go, into a wall, or off a cliff as we see in game.

1-3.  Don't recall this.  Possibly they are heavy armoured and really slow down, but I've not seen freezing.

4.  I have seen the horses mill about like you describe.

5. Not seen.

Studdering from cpu lag is bad.

Trying to be clever kid?? I've been "BETA TESTING" Arena for years, and watched the dynamics of this game change, again, and again.. And I test the elements of the game, as much as I've ever "played" Arena, looking for such.   Every update seems like one thing gets better, and one thing gets worse.  

The charge issue seems to have taken root recently.... "You haven't seen it?" Well then you either spam 3 like units constantly, or haven't charged 2 dissimilar units next to each other, where at least 1 man was in the ranks of the other unit...   

Want to take part in the discussion and make snide comments, do a little less playing, and a little more testing...  just a thought.

traumadisaster #17 Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Sergeant

View PostApolloBez, on 21 November 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

Trying to be clever kid?? I've been "BETA TESTING" Arena for years, and watched the dynamics of this game change, again, and again.. And I test the elements of the game, as much as I've ever "played" Arena, looking for such.   Every update seems like one thing gets better, and one thing gets worse.  

The charge issue seems to have taken root recently.... "You haven't seen it?" Well then you either spam 3 like units constantly, or haven't charged 2 dissimilar units next to each other, where at least 1 man was in the ranks of the other unit...   

Want to take part in the discussion and make snide comments, do a little less playing, and a little more testing...  just a thought.

I did see the horses stop during a charge when they touched a different unit yesterday, it was weird.  I'm 43 so just a kid at heart.

kamuisimeon #18 Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

Private

Honestly, when I first played this game, I believed it had potential to be a great pvp arena game, A grade even. However, when I engaged in PvP battled after my first 10 practice matches, the unresponsiveness utterly destroyed my gameplay. I wasn't able to make fluid moves and control my units efficiently. I literally waited two minutes, hands off the keyboard and mouse, just waiting for my troops to fall back. There was nothing else to do except stare as my units were being annihilated by the enemy. Please..fix this and your game will be top tier. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users