Formation Templates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Iron_Jaeger #1 Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Closed Alpha Gladiators

WG.net,

I recommend you include a formation template into the game similar to the original Total War series.  Trying to keep formation integrity while moving and fighting is very difficult.  As you know, the Romans were very particular and disciplined to fight in "rigid" formation to facilitate command and control of their formations.

Ardez #2 Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View PostIron_Jaeger, on 03 September 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

WG.net,

I recommend you include a formation template into the game similar to the original Total War series.  Trying to keep formation integrity while moving and fighting is very difficult.  As you know, the Romans were very particular and disciplined to fight in "rigid" formation to facilitate command and control of their formations.

Formations are in the game as unit and commander abilities currently.

Iron_Jaeger #3 Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:36 AM

Lance-corporal

View PostArdez, on 03 September 2017 - 05:32 AM, said:

Formations are in the game as unit and commander abilities currently.

Very good; how do you exactly "activate' them, please?  Thank you.  As I can tell, you  can only perform one formation when you move.  One cannot keep the "move" formation while moving such as:  one up; two back or two up; one back or align vertically, etc.

Edited by Iron_Jaeger, 03 September 2017 - 05:40 AM.

Ardez #4 Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:40 AM

Zhayedan

• Praetorian

View PostIron_Jaeger, on 03 September 2017 - 12:36 AM, said:

Very good; how do you exactly "activate' them, please?  Thank you.  As I can tell, you  can only perform one formation when you move.

You can adjust rank and file specifically by holding alt and dragging with right click. Make sure it is enabled in your settings.

Different formations, like phalanx or formed combat and even cavalry wedge show up as formation abilities on your hotbar at the bottom when they are available.

_TiSC_ #5 Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Lance-corporal

I think he means formations for the 3 units together.

I have to agree with him, you always have to individually place your units and if you move all of them they either regroup or are positioned in a line.

It would be great to have a simple "move forward" and "move backward" command so that all 3 units can keep their facing and position.

Or have a selection of formation preferences for the 3 units when holding the right mouse button.

Right now we have to be fast on the mouse to perform good tactics.

Iron_Jaeger #6 Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Lance-corporal

View Post_TiSC_, on 03 September 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

I think he means formations for the 3 units together.

I have to agree with him, you always have to individually place your units and if you move all of them they either regroup or are positioned in a line.

It would be great to have a simple "move forward" and "move backward" command so that all 3 units can keep their facing and position.

Or have a selection of formation preferences for the 3 units when holding the right mouse button.

Right now we have to be fast on the mouse to perform good tactics.

TiSC, you are correct; "pre-formed" and lasting formations (until  you start moving them individually again) from movement to battle.

UnholyRacket #7 Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:59 PM

Private

My Right Mouse Button function is not working....... I am not able to face my units when I move them...... so I am taking un-neessary losses to missile fire.

RMB will tell a unit to move..... RMB + drag isn't working. Not in the tutorial and not in Battle either. Is there a patch I need after 10.0 for this?

This isn't working like the Total War interface where RMB+drag would allow the player to face units in directions and adjust the depth or width of a formation.

2 user(s) are reading this topic